Respected Contributor

Please tell me plastic shoes are not a new trend

I do not like the plastic shoes that hosts and models are wearing. And no I will not buy them, think they look like they would make you feet sweat.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please tell me plastic shoes are not a new trend

I've been tempted to get some Rothy's but I talk myself out of them because I wonder how comfy they'd be despite the good reviews.  I like that they're washable and made from recycled plastics, though.  Some Rothy's reviews say they get stinky after wearing a few days, so I guess it's good they can be washed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If they are trending, they shouldn't be.  Shoe designers should know better.

Your feet do sweat quite a bit contributing to a moist, warm, and dark environment creating the perfect microenvironment for bacteria and fungi to grow.  

Also, feet swell somewhat later in the day, plastic is rigid leaving no room for expansion resulting in blisters.  

Plastic sandals are a better option, but closed plastic shoes are very unhealthy for your feet.  Still plastic sandals can rub against the skin causing blisters because they are rigid, don't expand like leather and fabric.  

There is a very soft, flexible, plastic used for gardening shoes.  Sloggers made sandals similar to Birkenstock's Arizona about 10 years ago.  Molded from one piece, they had very thick cushiony soles.  Like walking on air.   I wore them everyday around the house.  Had no problems, but sadly they don't make them anymore.

Birkenstock makes their own Arizona and other styles for water wear, but the plastic is hard, very little cushion.  Tried, but they hurt my feet and caused blisters.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've seen plastic high heels being worn recently....looks a bit like cartoon anime and dangerous.  If you love 'em...go for it, just not for me.

Honored Contributor

Yup...........saw some clear plastic sneakers today.   Way too hot and sweaty for Arizona................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Just thinking about wearing them make my feet hurt! ...😱😰

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64  I totally agree.  Years ago when I was in my teens, I had the plastic shoes and yes, your feet will sweat.  It is funny how trends come back around.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

i’ve tried them once before, and swore never again. when that plastic strap rubs on top of your foot on a hot day, it rubbed my skin sore. that really hurt. 

Honored Contributor

They love these sandals, models & hosts alike. I gotta think they're comfy, I see them worn by everybody here.

Honored Contributor

My favorite sandals are the plastic birkenstock thongs they sold here.  They had small holes in the soles and were so comfy and not hot.  I liked them so much I bought about 10 pairs from here and online but they no longer make them.  

Just notice how many medical professinals wear Crocs.  

Crocs are the only slip on shoe I will wear without socks.  There is nothing hotter than sweaty bare feet in regular shoes.