Respected Contributor

Re: Please tell me plastic shoes are not a new trend

They are indeed a trend. Not for everyone.  I bought some clear plastic Dr. Scholls and they were wickedly painful so I returned them. There, I'm done with that trend!

Honored Contributor

Plastic shoes are being shown in some collections, but I seriously doubt they will "fly" except with the younger ladies who haven't learned yet what we have discovered.

Respected Contributor

Plastic shoes= blisters, stinky wet sweaty feet. Feet can’t breathe. Natural fibers are necessary.

Valued Contributor

Decades ago, there were plastic shoes called Jellies.  Yes, they caused feet to sweat.

Honored Contributor

Just another one of those trendy things that is making a comeback.  Back in the mid 80's I had a pair of clear plastic sandals.  The heel was clear lucite.  My sister had a pair of clear gladiator sandals.  The wrapped all the way up to the knee and she wore those sandals with little flippy mini dresses.  Oh, to be young again!  LOL   The trend was over after summer or two and now it seems to be back.  But no one is required to buy them or wear them and I haven't seen any on women out here in real life.  Just in some fashion magazines and on some shopping channel hosts and models.  Me?  Been there, done that.  I won't be revisiting it.

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

Decades ago, there were plastic shoes called Jellies.  Yes, they caused feet to sweat.

Omg!  Yes.  I forgot about those.  I didn't wear Jellies but I know girls who did, they did make the feet sweat.  I remember my little nieces wore Jellies.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pprmntstx wrote:

@pprmntstx  And they broke frequently too! It happened to me in senior high wih a pair.  After that, didn't waste my money on them again!

I wore some like these in the 80's!  They came in lots of colors, too.  Shaking my head now.  I couldn't or wouldn't wear them now!

Related image

They also had the "swatch" phase then.  Had those, as well.  It was like a "plastic revolution, then!  The trend was to layer several Swatch watches and set each one for a different time zone.  Still shaking my head!!  LOL

Image result for swatch watch 1980s

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

My daugther wore Jellies when she was a little girl.  They looked cute but, OMG, did her feet ever stink!  Hahahaha

Honored Contributor

I remember jellies. Just looking at a pair make my feet hurt now.

Respected Contributor

I wore Jellies in the 80's. Eventually I had to stop because they hurt my feet and gave me blisters. I was a pretty active kid and sore feet were not an option if you wanted to be outdoors a lot. And now that I have super wide feet that swell as the day goes on, especially in summer, you couldn't pay me to wear plastic shoes.