Frequent Contributor

Painful feet part 2

[ Edited ]

This was my original post from August 8, 2018---

I went to the foot doctor yesterday and was told I have bone on bone artritis in both feet.  I also have bone on bone arthritis in both knees.  Are there any kind of shoes that may give me a little relief?  I work full time so I'm on my feet alot.  Thank you - Sandy

My podiatrist is going to make me orthotics, but my question is will they fit in all my shoes or just sneakers?  I have a pair that I paid $50.00 for but they only fit in my Sketchers... Is there success with custom made orthotics as far as pain is concerned?  Thanks again

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You need to ask your doctor for a recommendation on what type of shoe to wear.  You undoubtedly need something very supportive like a good athletic shoe.  Sketchers have no support whatsoever.  My mom had bad arthritis in her feet and wore nothing but an athletic shoe with her custom orthotic.   She went to a shoe store where the salespeople were pedorthists, people especially trained to fit shoes.  You might want to seek such a store in your area.  It might save your job.  Your doc may know of such a store.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Painful feet part 2

[ Edited ]

Search type of shoes to wear when you have arthritis in your feet on Google.

Click on the link Best & Worst Shoes for Arthritis-Arthritis Foundation Blog.

You may find some answers there. I did read wearing the wrong type shoes can make matters worse down the road.

Hope you find some comfy shoes.

Respected Contributor

@Three meezers wrote:

This was my original post from August 8, 2018---

I went to the foot doctor yesterday and was told I have bone on bone artritis in both feet.  I also have bone on bone arthritis in both knees.  Are there any kind of shoes that may give me a little relief?  I work full time so I'm on my feet alot.  Thank you - Sandy

My podiatrist is going to make me orthotics, but my question is will they fit in all my shoes or just sneakers?  I have a pair that I paid $50.00 for but they only fit in my Sketchers... Is there success with custom made orthotics as far as pain is concerned?  Thanks again

@Three meezers

I had orthotics made about a year ago year. (to the tune of $500, insurance paid about $200)  At first I thought they helped but within a short amount of time began wearing them less and less.  Now, I cannot remember the last time I wore them.

They did fit in various shoe styles of mine.

Esteemed Contributor

@Three meezersYou will not find the correct shoes at QVC. Talk with your Orthodotic about where to buy the best type of shoes for your needs. You will be directed to a speciality shoe store where your feet will be measured and fitted properly for the problems you have and to accommodate your orthodotics. Ask your prescribing physician is your insurance will help cover the cost of the shoes with a prescription. Sometimes the shoe stores accept a RX; sometimes not. (Not sure how that works since I don't use orthodotics. Have seen other customers use RX's when buying FINN brand shoes for myself.) Best wishes.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

a few years back when I had an Achilles heel bone spur and a metatarsal issue in the other foot, I went to one of these specialty places.

I originally dreaded going but once there I saw some really nice looking shoes !  The temporary orthotic fit in and over time the metatarsal issue resolved itself.

The bone spur seemed to fade away after about a year...last week the bottom of the storm door caught it. OW.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

Orthotics do help, but they don't work in all shoes.  I have them, I wear the vionics which works for me. You can't put them in a mid-size heel.  I only wear mid-size heels, can no longer wear anything else. I too suffer from arthritis.