Respected Contributor

Re: PLANTAR FASCIITIS shoe recommendations?

Thank goodness I'venever had it.  But my youngest daughter has had an awful time with PF.  

We were in Belk one day with her limping about the store when we arrived at the show department and Vionic display. I suggested she try on one of the display shoes, which she reluctantly agreed to do.  The expression on her face was priceless.  It went from one of pain to one of a Thank Goodness It's Gone look.  We bought that pair and one other.  Every now and then the issue crops up again, but she goes back to strictly Vionic for a few days and it goes away very quickly.  

Vionic isn't comfortable for me, but it's a godsend for her. I hope they work well for you as well. They have come out with some really cute styles lately.  A bit expensive but worth every penny to my daughter.

Honored Contributor

I wear Birkenstock, Ryka, Merrell, Fly Flot etc. Look for anatomically correct shoes. They have to have good arch support. I tried some of the Vionic but every time I wear those I get a backache.

Trusted Contributor

Birkenstocks were the only shoe that worked for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I had that, emphasis on HAD -- terrible heal pain when my feet hit the floor in the morning.  Then a few years ago I started wearing Vionic slippers, both the open toe kind and the clog kind.  My pain went away for good.  So even if I do walk barefoot, there is no pain.  But 99% of the time when I am at home, I am wearing those slippers.  I have some of their sandals and shoes too, but I do not wear them everyday.  The slippers do wear out after awhile.  I am probaby on my 4th pair and have bought extras to be sure I have enough for the next several years.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Life_of_Riley

I had plantar faciatis twice . Both times wearing a wedge shoe even around the house brought great relief .  Also, I slept with a big bulky boot that I bought online made to stretch your  muscles overnight and  although sleeping with it took a little while to adjust it worked great and quickly - less then a week 

hope yours gets better soon!

Respected Contributor

If you have one nearby, I recommend visiting a better shoe store (I went to Nordstrom, who got their start as a shoe store & I found their sale people to be very good shoe fitters) & telling a salesperson what your needs are & ask what they recommend.  The guy that I dealt with at Nordstrom (this was in WA about 18 years ago) told me I needed a shoe with good arch support with very good side to side stability & no flex thru the mid foot & I've used his guidelines ever since when buying shoes. 

The shoe brands that work best for me are New Balance, Merrell, Mephisto, Naot & Josef Seibel, but you'll have to find which ones work well for you.  Personally, I can't wear Birkinstocks or Vionic, because the footbeds aren't shaped & molded right for my very weird feet.

Trusted Contributor

heelthatpain is a great website!  I'm so glad that I found it when I first developed p.f.  

I purchased their inserts, as well as practiced their exercises every day.  Both made a big difference.  It's a very informative website.  Always have slippers on that are appropriate for p.f., too.  I went to the Walking Store for several pairs of shoes when I first developed the problem.  Over the years, I've purchased Vionic (shoes and slippers), Clarks, Merrell.  Depending on the shoe, I may or may not need to add the inserts! 

Several years ago, I went into DSW, trying to find something to wear to stop the pain.  That's what started the whole processs for me of educating myself about what would and wouldn't work.  Most shoes do not have any support whatsoever for people with p.f.!!!

Honored Contributor

Unless you have been diagnosed with PF, be aware there are other foot maladies that present themselves with similar symptoms.

Also, Vionics do not work for everyone with PF.  If possible, go to a B&M store and try on a variety of brands.

Good luck, I know how excruciating that pain can be. (particularly getting out of bed)

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of link to another retailer

Occasional Contributor

When I had this problem some time ago, a doctor suggested that I buy SAS Shoes. It stands for San Antonio Shoes. You can buy them online or in the SAS shoe stores. My feet have never felt better. They are expensive but when your feet hurt you are willing to pay anything to make the pain go away.