Super Contributor

Re: OMG what is going on with watches?

Years ago, watches all pretty much looked the same and most people were satisfied to have one or two.

Lately - in the past 10 or so years - watches have become more of a jewelry accessory. I have about 6 or 7 and wear different watches with different outfits or colors. It's just a changing fad.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/3/2014 Q4U said:

ROFL... I'm finding the "hard sell" the hosts are making regarding some of these products absolutely ridiculous.

I think my mouth dropped open when WEN was on promoting the 1 gallon 6-13 recently. I thought the female hosts were having a "personal moment" in regard to the scent... OMG... I mean, I love WEN and find 6-13 very nice (and not outrageously nice) but personal moment nice??? Uhhh.... no.

I really don't mean to be critical, but please... it's a great product, but get a grip.

I didn't see that,but is that anything like the "personal moments" women in commercials have when they bite into a piece of chocolate? {#emotions_dlg.blink} It's absurd!!!

Respected Contributor

I love watches. I'm glad I went nuts when there were Eclessi specials on his sterling silver watches. I think I have four. But I have about ten or so, who's counting.

I do think a nice looking watch does class up your outfit. But I have an Isaac that was a lunchtime special that was thirty bucks.

Funny story: I have a friend who's a nun. She wears lay clothing but dresses VERY simply.

She said she needed a watch but couldn't spend much. I told her I'd take care of it.

I ordered a very simple Eclessi that had a leather band. It was reduced. I was thrilled to buy it for her because it really is hard to buy anything for a nun and her birthday was coming. I had always sent her flowers, which wasn't cheap.

I had it sent to her. When she got it I called and asked her how she liked it. She said she was having trouble telling the time. THEY SENT HER A TRENDY WATCH WITH A SEQUINED BUTTERFLY IN HOT PINK ON THE FACE. I called the Q (this was back in the day when the Q really was generous). I got a CS who'd gone to parochial school. She was horrified, sent the correct watch and told me to keep the fancy one. My friend LOVED the Eclessi. I've worn the fancy one a few times. It's really hard to tell the time!

Honored Contributor

I wear a watch every single day and I own lots of them, but "yearn"? I just wear them because I like jewelry that tells time.
Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Newnick ame said: I wear a watch every single day and I own lots of them, but "yearn"? I just wear them because I like jewelry that tells time.

Same here. I can't have my cell phone out or on at work so I need a watch for time and the fashion aspect of it I just like. I never "Lead" with anything. As others have said this is just a sales pitch. When they start talking about this item being "high end" or making you appear "well-to-do" it turns me off.

Trusted Contributor

Funny enough but they are actually talking about a select group of very rich people who actually DO judge others by what label they wear. They wear designer watches, handbags, clothing, or drive cars that those in their group aspire to. The people who aspire or desire to wear them are just following along and it makes them feel good. Myself, I love Cartier because its well made, looks good and lasts forever but I never have felt the need to impress with it. So the sales pitch actually appeals to those who feel it defines them.

Respected Contributor

Like a lot of people, I wore a watch for decades until I got the phone. The watches are so big now, and anyone with a slim wrist isn't comfortable with that size. Someone must be buying watches because they are shown on Q and other shopping networks too.

Honored Contributor

On 12/25/2014 paShar said:

Years ago, watches all pretty much looked the same and most people were satisfied to have one or two.

Lately - in the past 10 or so years - watches have become more of a jewelry accessory. I have about 6 or 7 and wear different watches with different outfits or colors. It's just a changing fad.

I agree.

Regular Contributor

I love watches and they are very definite fashion statement, if you wear one. I also yearn for certain watches, but will never have them. It's like any other fashion item.

Honored Contributor

My watches are either white gold or yellow gold (no diamonds!). So they are really beautiful pieces of jewelry for me. I do wear them to coordinate what type of jewelry I'm wearing. I don't wear a watch every day.

If it's a totally casual day, I have one gold watch that just has a tan leather wristband.

ETA:

BOY this is an old thread!!