Trusted Contributor

Re: Nervous about carrying my Dooney

I have some Dooney's and some bags that cost much more, I use them all the time. You only go thru life once, so take those bags out and enjoy them!!

Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2014 vera11 said:
On 2/22/2014 GoodStuff said:

Another persuasive reason for buying good quality, <em>affordable</em> bags from places like TJ Maxx. I will never treat a handbag with kid gloves and would rather pay $35 - $50 for a sturdy bag I can throw around without reservation. No triple-digit handbag prices for me.

i love that word affordable..sorry, but in my head i just cannot see any working gal spending that much on a pocketbook..

And you're absolutely free not to do so...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2014 GoodStuff said:

Another persuasive reason for buying good quality, affordable bags from places like TJ Maxx. I will never treat a handbag with kid gloves and would rather pay $35 - $50 for a sturdy bag I can throw around without reservation. No triple-digit handbag prices for me.

I buy a lot of my handbags at TJ Maxx and Marshall's, but even there, the bags I see in the $35-50 range don't usually impress me or strike me as 'nicer'. There are so many threads about what is reasonable to spend on handbags, I guess because there are two major 'camps', both having 'members' with strong opinions and neither likely to be swayed by the thinking of the other. That said, you can get fabulous handbags at the Maxx for far less than the full retail most often charged here and elsewhere and of course there's no shipping... While they don't offer EP, they do offer layaway. I'm a big fan of these stores for handbags and for lots of other things. Case in point, I just got a beautiful oryany bag there that cost me, give or take, a hundred thirty dollars less than the cost here, and in a color not offered here. I don't, however, baby my bags, no matter what I spend on them. Ultimately, they're there for me to use and so I do!

Valued Contributor

Does anyone have issues with their purses getting make up and lotion on them? I have a black florentine and it looks like there is smears over it when I go out in the sun.

Valued Contributor

Hi Ladies! Thank you all so much for your feedback. You are right - why purchase a beautiful Dooney bag and not wear it? So, I am going to change into one of my Dooney's this weekend and start using and loving it. What great bags they are!!

Valued Contributor

Oh, just so you know, the Dooney's I purchased are the domed sachel with accessories, A240161. Stevieb, thanks for your feedback on this one. They are small, but I think they will work well for me!

Respected Contributor

Arianny: the satchel you purchased is pebbled leather. It's very durable and will take everyday wear. Just enjoy using it. A few years ago I was carrying a pebbled leather Dooney and tripped. The handbag went sliding across a very dirty office floor in a gas station. I wiped the handbag with a damp paper towel when I got home and it was fine.... no marks, and all the dirt came off. My knees took a lot longer to recover. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2014 Arianny said:

Oh, just so you know, the Dooney's I purchased are the domed sachel with accessories, A240161. Stevieb, thanks for your feedback on this one. They are small, but I think they will work well for me!

Glad you like it and that you think it will work. Have no worries about this one, Arianny, it'll wear like iron. This is a very durable and forgiving leather. Enjoy carrying this one, I know I do and I really had my doubts about the size but have come to really love this bag. I'm carrying the palomino version this weekend!

Smile

Valued Contributor

I can't wait to use it now after seeing all the positive responses telling me not to be afraid - thank you everyone! Stevieb - I got the Palomino and the Brown - both are beautiful!

Super Contributor

On 2/21/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I bought this bag in November of 2012:

Dooney & Bourke Leather Medium Pocket Satchel with Accessories

Since then, I have carried it everywhere almost every day. I've never cleaned it, aside from wiping off the coffee I spilled on it on two separate occasions.

Here's what it looks like today:

The tassels are flayed some, but there are no real scratches or cracks anywhere on the bag and, even stuffed to the gills, it still holds its shape. The front pocket is almost always stuffed to full that I can barely close the snap, but there's no wear around the snap point and it has never come lose. I could probably get the tassles damp and rubber band them overnight to bring them back in line a little, but I don't really care that much.

Here's a picture of the front left corner:

You can see there's wear on the leather piping and a small scratch near the stitching of the pocket. That's the worst wear point the bag has on it. The only special care I've ever taken is to never put it on a restroom or restaurant floor, but it usually sits on the floor of my car, the floor under my desk at work, and the floor when I visit friends. It's been stuffed under several airplane seats and I try not to kick it, but it happens. Yesterday it fell off my chair at a restaurant and crashed to the floor twice, but no harm done.

That's every day for over a year wear.

I use those scratch markers for wood on the trim of my Dooneys to fix the scuffs on the piping. You have to use a color lighter than what you would think. I use one called maple. I lightly dot it on, smooth it with a tissue, and then apply a little Chapstick over it to seal and soften it.

My Dooney bags wear like iron and only seem to get minor scuffs on the piping.