Frequent Contributor

Re: Nervous about carrying my Dooney

I like when a good leather bag looks a little broken in. It is better than new to me.
Respected Contributor

Arianny: Dooney handbags hold up very well. But certain leathers wear like iron and others will show more marks or dirt. The pebbled leather and the All Weather leather are the most durable. And if they get a little dirty, a cloth with soap and water will clean them up. Florentine leather will show scratches and marks which may come out if you rub them with a soft dry cloth. Also lighter colored leather can pick up dyes from other clothing. (True for any brand of handbags). Dyes are very hard to remove.

On the Dooney and Bourke web site their is a care guide for each kind of leather. The link is at the bottom of the main page.

Which handbags did you get?

Honored Contributor

Arianny, here's hoping you enjoy those bags! I understand, given their cost, one wants to protect them, but most Dooney bags wear very well and are well made. Just try to remember that part of the joy of having them is savoring them and using them. Otherwise, it's like a fabulous meal you don't eat! To be sure, some leathers wear better than others, but even those prone to marks and to burnishing age beautifully, though they might not always look pristine as they do when new... Carry your bags and treat them reasonably, but at the end of the day try to remember they are 'just' handbags and along with their beauty are there to serve a function... Congrats to you on your new bags!

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 2/21/2014 TamiT28 said:

Arianny....

I can completely relate to your post. I have many Dooney's that I have not ever used because in my mind I want to "save" them for the perfect occasion and want them to always look pristine. That being said, I am trying to realize that every day is a special day and no reason to save things that you love. Any Dooney I have ever had (coated cotton, regular fabric, leather, nylon, etc.) has worn like iron.

Enjoy your handbags!!

Tami

Oh my goodness girls, you are missing out on all of the fun of having a great handbag! Take them out and enjoy them. Quality bags can withstand wear. Some even look better with age...

Super Contributor

The Dooneys I have had held up very well. I spilled coffee on one of my bags, and all I had at the time to wipe it off with was Kleenex and napkins, but when I got home I used some leather cleaning wipes to wipe it down. Looks just fine now and this is the one I carry most often now. You can't tell I spilled anything on it.

Love my Dooneys. Next to my Coach bags, they are my favorite bags.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/21/2014 JJ said:
On 2/21/2014 TamiT28 said:

Arianny....

I can completely relate to your post. I have many Dooney's that I have not ever used because in my mind I want to "save" them for the perfect occasion and want them to always look pristine. That being said, I am trying to realize that every day is a special day and no reason to save things that you love. Any Dooney I have ever had (coated cotton, regular fabric, leather, nylon, etc.) has worn like iron.

Enjoy your handbags!!

Tami

Oh my goodness girls, you are missing out on all of the fun of having a great handbag! Take them out and enjoy them. Quality bags can withstand wear. Some even look better with age...

I agree! If you're not going to use it or if you're going to put it aside, then you might as well return it. I learned long ago not to save things for a possible "someday". Who cares if it looks pristine if you're not getting any pleasure from it?! I firmly believe in "using the good china now".

Yes, every day IS a special day.

Enjoy them! Kiss

Frequent Contributor

Hi All

The comments just convinced me to switch to one of my Dooney's that I always talked myself out of using. Took all of 5 minutes to switch bags (plus I got to throw out some of the accumulated papers that I have been carrying foreve)r.

Off to errands with my ""new"" bag! Thanks

Honored Contributor

I keep mine in a glass case in the living room, with spot lights shining on them.....lol. But seriously, I have several and I do not baby them. I use leather cleaner on the leathers, I clean the cloth ones with a damp cloth and mild soap solution. I'm not gentle with them. They do hold up well and I have never had problems with the hardware breaking or tarnishing. That's why I am loyal to the brand.

Trusted Contributor

Another persuasive reason for buying good quality, affordable bags from places like TJ Maxx. I will never treat a handbag with kid gloves and would rather pay $35 - $50 for a sturdy bag I can throw around without reservation. No triple-digit handbag prices for me.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/22/2014 GoodStuff said:

Another persuasive reason for buying good quality, affordable bags from places like TJ Maxx. I will never treat a handbag with kid gloves and would rather pay $35 - $50 for a sturdy bag I can throw around without reservation. No triple-digit handbag prices for me.

i love that word affordable..sorry, but in my head i just cannot see any working gal spending that much on a pocketbook..