Valued Contributor

Nervous about carrying my Dooney

Hi All. I just recently purchased a couple of Dooney bags. I am new to the brand, but I absolutely love my new bags and can see how much higher quality Dooney bags are than other brands. But I am nervous about carrying them. I am afraid they will get dirty or damaged. Do you carry your Dooney everyday? How do they hold up with the wear and tear of everyday use? Any help you could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Nervous about carrying my Dooney

They hold up really well. I don't carry my all leather florantine in the rain but other than that enjoy them and carry them.

Esteemed Contributor

Dooney bags really do wear like iron and look even better after carrying them. They clean up beautifully. Enjoy them.
Contributor

No sense in buying if you aren 't going to carry them. They wear extraordinary and have never had to clean one. Just be aware of where you set them down, I never put a bag down on a floor either. If they get something on them, just use a paper towel with a little warm water. Have fun with them!
Respected Contributor

Please don't be afraid to carry your beautiful Dooneys! I have 3, and I sure don't baby them. Just be a little careful when you put them down that there isn't anything sticky, wet, etc. I put mine on the floor all the time. They are very durable!

Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2014 LisaB said:

They hold up really well. I don't carry my all leather florantine in the rain but other than that enjoy them and carry them.

My Florentine bag has gotten very wet and once it dried it was good as new. Didn't hurt it ar all. Dooney bags are tough and don't need to be babied.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I bought this bag in November of 2012:

Dooney & Bourke Leather Medium Pocket Satchel with Accessories

Since then, I have carried it everywhere almost every day. I've never cleaned it, aside from wiping off the coffee I spilled on it on two separate occasions.

Here's what it looks like today:

The tassels are flayed some, but there are no real scratches or cracks anywhere on the bag and, even stuffed to the gills, it still holds its shape. The front pocket is almost always stuffed to full that I can barely close the snap, but there's no wear around the snap point and it has never come lose. I could probably get the tassles damp and rubber band them overnight to bring them back in line a little, but I don't really care that much.

Here's a picture of the front left corner:

You can see there's wear on the leather piping and a small scratch near the stitching of the pocket. That's the worst wear point the bag has on it. The only special care I've ever taken is to never put it on a restroom or restaurant floor, but it usually sits on the floor of my car, the floor under my desk at work, and the floor when I visit friends. It's been stuffed under several airplane seats and I try not to kick it, but it happens. Yesterday it fell off my chair at a restaurant and crashed to the floor twice, but no harm done.

That's every day for over a year wear.

Super Contributor

Arianny....

I can completely relate to your post. I have many Dooney's that I have not ever used because in my mind I want to "save" them for the perfect occasion and want them to always look pristine. That being said, I am trying to realize that every day is a special day and no reason to save things that you love. Any Dooney I have ever had (coated cotton, regular fabric, leather, nylon, etc.) has worn like iron.

Enjoy your handbags!!

Tami

Honored Contributor

Chynna, I have that exact same bag in the same color. I recently put it in "mothballs" and quit carrying it because it's just too heavy. It's even heavy empty.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Don't hide them in the closet! Use and enjoy them! No need to "baby" them, just treat them well and they will be fine! Enjoy!