Honored Contributor

Re: NO SANDALS/ STILL NO PEDICURES

I know my thoughts on COVID aren't popular around here, and that's quite alright by me, but I never stopped getting my hair, nails, waxing, etc. done when this hit.  To be more accurate, the first 6 weeks or so I didn't go anywhere, but then when it looked like this was not going to end,  I went "underground" to get my hair, nails & waxing done.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

my toenails became a royal mess from wearing polish on them consistently and without breaks for many, many years.  one time my manicurist removed the polish and i was just horrified at how awful my toenails looked.  i told her to just do the pedicure and leave the nails bare.  that was about 3 months before covid/shutdown.  so i have had a whole year to let my nails 'rest' and not have to worry about them being maincured.   once i was fully vaccinated, i went to the salon and had a nice pedicure, ... but i opt now for clear polish (which i can remove and let the nails 'breathe' now and then.)   it took me a whole year to get comfortable with looking down and not seeing my favorite "i'm not really a waitress" toenail polish!   now i am super comfortable with the bare look LOL.  

Honored Contributor

for me, manicures and pedicures are a "i love to spoil myself" part of my life. i will go out in zero degree weather in my flip flops to my favorite nail spa and have them make my feet and toes look good. i just cannot get as good a look if i do it myself, no matter how many tools and creams i have.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I do my own pedis.  I've always sat on the deck bench sideways with my knee bent which I can lean over since I'm "double jointed".  I used to enjoy reading my fashion magazines while I waited a few minutes before I used drying spray. 

I'd much rather have a day off be a day I'm REALLY off!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I have never had a pedi in my life. I do my own toenails. I have Type 1 diabetes and do not trust getting a pedi. I also don't color my hair and haven't for about 4 years. I do wear sandals because I live in a hot humid climate. I have a whole drawer full of nail polish to choose from. I have no problem doing my own toenails. 

Hi @Lali1 .  I could have written this post except for the diabetes.  Oh, and my overflowing collection of polish is housed in plastic containers under my bed (cool and dark) instead of a drawer.  Could we be long lost sisters?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I started getting regular pedicures more than 10 years ago. I go to a very small shop; owned and operated by a local woman who retired from her first job, and does nails part-time, for "fun". I only wear polish May to September, but like to have nice smooth feet. I NEVER do the paraffin dip.

The VA scheduled my husband so far out with his podiatry appts, I scheduled an appt for him at the shop, and now we go together each month. There's only 3 of us in the shop, and my husband and I wear masks.
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I have never had a pedi in my life. I do my own toenails. I have Type 1 diabetes and do not trust getting a pedi. I also don't color my hair and haven't for about 4 years. I do wear sandals because I live in a hot humid climate. I have a whole drawer full of nail polish to choose from. I have no problem doing my own toenails. 

Hi @Lali1 .  I could have written this post except for the diabetes.  Oh, and my overflowing collection of polish is housed in plastic containers under my bed (cool and dark) instead of a drawer.  Could we be long lost sisters?

Possibly 😊

Honored Contributor

I never wear "open toe" footwear.  And, I do my own nails (hands and feet)

I live in NYC and there's no way I'm walking around these streets with open shoes.  

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@PinkyPetunia  I must be a weirdo because I notice peoples' feet all the time!!  (LOL)

A pet peeve of mine is someone who shows their feet and they are not well kept. 

ITA, @LindaSal .  Not JUST polished toenails, but well kept feet (heel calluses, etc) are a MUST as I always notice men's and women's feet in the summer!  Would prefer a gal with unpolished nails as long as her feet are well kept and nails are trimmed.

Most things are back to normal here in OK, I have gotten my first shot, and I totally feel safe from the virus at my salon.  It is a family owned business where they know everyone by name and their color preference as well!

i have gotten my nails done non stop since the 80s (now wear shellac  over my own nails) and my pedi begins this year as soon as I get this boot off of my broken ankle!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I've never had a pedicure or manicure in a salon. I've always done mine at home. I've never worn sandals very often, because I don't like the look of my toes. I've had a couple pairs of flat sandals over the years, but I rarely wore them. For the last 2 years I haven't owned or worn any sandals. I don't miss them. I wear my ballet flats, boat shoes, or sneakers instead in warm weather.