Honored Contributor

Re: NO SANDALS/ STILL NO PEDICURES

@Shanus I don't get "pedicures"....I have very sensitive feet and hate when the bottoms are touched.  So instead I moisturize and scrub them myself.  My manicurist does polish on my toes.  She trims & buffs my toe nails then adds polish without having to do the whole pedicure.

She also has a very small salon.  She's the owner and at one time had 3 other women working for her.  Since the pandemic many people are afraid to come in and get their nails done so she is down to one part time employee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do my own pedicures. I only wear sandals around the house, never leave the house with them on and I never wear sandals in public places at all (for sanitary reasons).

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus I don't get "pedicures"....I have very sensitive feet and hate when the bottoms are touched.  So instead I moisturize and scrub them myself.  My manicurist does polish on my toes.  She trims & buffs my toe nails then adds polish without having to do the whole pedicure.

She also has a very small salon.  She's the owner and at one time had 3 other women working for her.  Since the pandemic many people are afraid to come in and get their nails done so she is down to one part time employee.

@haddon9   It's so sad what's happened to samll businesses. My feet aren't sensitive, but many of the salons here technicians who don't speak English and I don't like cuticles cut, just pushed back...that's where infections can begin and the cuticle protects the nail. I just can't explain that in their language. I checked into a new salon during the week and they'd gone up $10 for a basic pedicure. Add a tip and every 2 weeks? UH!...a lot of money. I tried to ask about the cuticle issue and again they waved that they didn't understand. I'll be doing them myself. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@PinkyPetunia  I'm with you. It's probably been 10 years since my last mani/pedi and that was for my nephew's wedding (where no one was looking at my toes). I stopped wearing polish years ago. I'm lucky that the fungus on my big toenail finally seems to have cleared up and that my calluses are very manageable. I just keep my nails trimmed & shaped and stay on top of those calluses. Then, I make sure to moisturize every night before going to bed. Best of all, I don't have to worry about salon cleanliness anymore.

@Eileen in Virginia   When on "spa-cation" a few years ago, I had a wonderful, skilled pedicure. She told me cutidles should never be cut (hands or feet) and if callusses are filed down too much, they come back thicker and harder. She said they're there to protect the foot from friction....that each foot is shaped differently and toes/heels hit a shoe accordingly and may need that protection. She joked that if after she did my pedi, if I didn't wear shoes for a few weeks, I'd have no calluses....not necessary to protect the feet from rubbing.  I never tried it.

Respected Contributor

I've never had a pedicure. I take good care of my feet, trimming my nails regularly, exfoliating, moisturizing and on rare occasions adding some polish. I don't have bunions, or callouses and my feet look in good condition. Except...

The except is, my feet are so wide, that if I don't have borders to contain them, they look like duck feet ... Woman Happy. If I see someone glancing at my feet, I find myself trying to pull my toes together to slenderize them. That makes me laugh at myself.

So, even in the TX heat, I don't wear sandals out very often. I now choose to love my feet for function. Wide can have benefits. 

Honored Contributor

I wear sandals year round.   Last time I investigated foot surgery with my podiatrist, he was so opposed to it for me that he recommended I forgo it and wear sandals since I can find comfort in them.  I also have a shoe for my walking exercise, but it’s nothing I choose to wear for much of any other activity. 

There is nothing attractive about my malformed feet, but I keep them clean, clipped, and very neutrally polished.  If someone objected, I would tell them to “change the channel.”

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Since my hair color appointments are 4-5 weeks apart, I still do the cut-and-color routine.  I go on Wednesday's because there are only two or three workers there and it is quite and comfortable.

With my first post-pandemic hair coloring, I decided that while my white was a striking white, I needed the contrast with the darker color.  The thick white wavy streak in front stayed.

Clark's sandals:  I live in their sandals.  About two years ago, I checked Rakuten and there was 15% back and Clark's had a huge sandal clearance:  since I knew my size, I bought a lot.  Their support base works for my feet.

Pedicures: at 76, I can't twist the body enough to do a thorough one, so I get my safe version.  I soak at home and can manage the tricky trim across curved nails.  The pedicurist does the rest.

For heels year round, I have an electric Emjoi at each house so my heels are always smooth.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Shanus I too was tempted by the Clark sandals this a.m.  I am probably a rare breed but I have NEVER gone for a manicure/pedicure in my 60 years.  I am very ticklish on my feet and do not want cross conramination as I have seen some pretty bad stuff on "My feet are killing me."

Honored Contributor

I don't get pedicures in salons.  They are not clean enough for me.  I am licensed to do hair and nails and I know salons are not doing what is required to keep soaking and nail supplies clean enough.  I have seen first hand how bad nail infections can get and it scares me. 

I go barefoot most of the time.  I hate shoes.  They rub, pinch and confine my feet.  I suffer with shoes in the winter time wearing mostly backless styles.

When the weather gets warmer, I am happy to be able to wear sandals.  I am ready now!

My feet are small and I have short toes. My children say I have Fred Flintstone feet.  But, I have no bunions, no corns, no hammer toes, no fungus or yellow nails and no calluses.  My feet are soft and smooth.  

I trim my nails every Sunday night and file them smooth.  I wash my feet everyday and rub them with a pumice stone and dry them well.  I used to wear polish, but I gave that up about two years ago.  it was too much work because I usually go swimming everyday during the summer and hate chipped and peeling polish.

I don't use lotions or moisterizers on my feet or body.  My skin isn't dry.  I know I will never be a foot model with Flintstone feet, but I am never embarassed by the condition of my tootsies....and my comfort always come first.  I am not that vain.

Honored Contributor

I have had five foot surgeries that were successful enough that I can walk three miles a day without pain. But my toes are not attractive at all.

It is very difficult for me to trim the nails, but I do my best. I don't polish them, and I do wear open sandals. As another poster said, if anyone disapproves, that's on them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland