Respected Contributor

NEW update: another pair of dansko's exploded

i'm at church sunday, walking around a bit, took a step and it felt different.  look down, and there is the big ol' chunk of heel. broke off.  I was flabbergasted!! this is the THIRD pair, in as many months. then i inspected the other shoe, and sure enough, the rubber where your foot bends was just about cracked through, and it was easy to see, it was also a goner.  

i was ticked off royally. these were pristine, i had only worn them 3x's i think. 

came home and gave the rest of my dansko's the twist test.  maybe i need to move on to another brand. i'm just disgusted.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEW update: another pair of dansko's exploded

@kittyloo wrote:

i'm at church sunday, walking around a bit, took a step and it felt different.  look down, and there is the big ol' chunk of heel. broke off.  I was flabbergasted!! this is the THIRD pair, in as many months. then i inspected the other shoe, and sure enough, the rubber where your foot bends was just about cracked through, and it was easy to see, it was also a goner.  

i was ticked off royally. these were pristine, i had only worn them 3x's i think. 

came home and gave the rest of my dansko's the twist test.  maybe i need to move on to another brand. i'm just disgusted.

Good grief, I'm glad you didn't fall and get hurt. I'd be mad too, that's just dangerous. 3 shoes doing this in as many months, I think I'd try to call Dansko's customer service.

Valued Contributor

@kittyloo you are not alone!  This has happened to both me & my sister numerous times, & with Sanita shoes as well.  (Dansko & Sanita were connected somehow, am not sure of the details).

I need the arch support of the staple bottoms which they no longer make for sandals...I live in southern Cal & can pretty much wear sandals year round. So I have bought many pairs of Dansko sandals on ebay, some ended up cracking/splitting.dissolving.  I thought it was because maybe they were older shoes & the rubber dried out.  But recently I bought brand new Sanita clogs & paid full price at a good shoe store.  I only wore them a couple times, I bought them for a winter trip back east...When I wore them again after about a year, the sole cracked.  I brought them back to the store & they told me that they stopped carrying Sanitas because they started having too many problems like that.  

The Dansko sandals that split looked perfect, the leather wsas pristine...but the soles were defective.  It's too bad because they are so comfortable.  I still have a lot of sandals, but am always worried about being stranded somewhere with unwearable shoes.  Last year my sister & I went to Italy & I brought 3 pairs of sandals to make sure I would be OK if 1 or 2 of them split, but they were all fine.  It turned out that my sister's Dansko heel fell off in Florence!  She ended up wearing flipflops the rest of the trip because she hadn't brought extras like I did!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo 

Maybe this information will help that I found online at Medelita blog.

Since the early 1990s until August 2007, Sanita® manufactured all of the Dansko® stapled clogs collection, including Dansko® Professional Clogs. In August of 2007, Dansko® and Sanita® ended their long-term partnership. Dansko® began their own manufacturing in China, and Sanita® decided to continue their Professional Clog line under their own name, with continuation of production in Europe.

Since Sanita® stopped manufacturing Dansko® Professional Clogs, Dansko® has experienced some inconsistencies with their clogs - most noticeably, many of our customers have commented that the new heel design and higher arch on Dankso clogs is uncomfortable, causing ankle instability in a fast-paced, on-your-feet-all-day work environment. In short, if you want the same Dansko® clog that you loved prior to 2008, then you should buy Sanita®.

I also read there are other brands (like Born and Clarks) that also use the same molded polyurethane so have also crumbled after being shipped to customers.

If you Google Dansko Crumbling you will find others with the same issues plus pics are posted.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo   There is nothing worse than your heel breaking off while you're out. This happened to me too a long time ago.

What do you do when this happenes???!!! 

I picked up my heel and hobbled home. Wasn't pretty.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Regardless of how long you've had these recent breakdowns, box them up (in anything) and send them back. If you by some freakish chance have the other ones too especially the same brand, include these as well. Write a big note explaining what the obvious is, and tell the Q return folks you no longer need nor want these broken shoes.

End of story.

Honored Contributor

This once happened to me in a pair of Clarks (hopefully they have changed how they make their shoes and it no longer does this).

I was cleaning out my closet and came across a pair of shoes that I had forgotten about.  I tried them on and they felt fine.  I kept them on while continuing to work on my closet and all of a sudden my feet felt weird!  I looked down to see that the shoes disintegrated!!!

I found out later while reading a thread here that this happened to a lot of people with Clarks shoes....this was several years ago and as I mentioned I hope that they have changed how their shoes are made.

Honored Contributor

If a shoe is kept years and years, the materials other than leather can break down.  Having only worn them  3 times or so isn't acceptable for any shoe.

I'd certainly contact Dansko.  I wear a lot of them and have not had this happen.  

Regular Contributor

I had several pairs of Clarks Clogs come apart where the leather attached to the sole. I'm going to go check my Danskos & Sanitas. 

@haddon9 wrote:

This once happened to me in a pair of Clarks (hopefully they have changed how they make their shoes and it no longer does this).

I was cleaning out my closet and came across a pair of shoes that I had forgotten about.  I tried them on and they felt fine.  I kept them on while continuing to work on my closet and all of a sudden my feet felt weird!  I looked down to see that the shoes disintegrated!!!

I found out later while reading a thread here that this happened to a lot of people with Clarks shoes....this was several years ago and as I mentioned I hope that they have changed how their shoes are made.

Valued Contributor

The Sanitas are bad now too. And my clogs were only about a year old when the sole split. When I brought them back to the shoe store to show them what happened, the guy said after the Sanitas started being made in China there were a lot of problems so the store quit carrying them. 

However I have had crumbling Danskos that were made in Poland, so it's not just the Chinese made ones. I don't understand why these shoe companies can't find decent material for soles that will last.

Respected Contributor

I would suggest Allegria.   I only have 2 pair but they comfortable and seem to be sturdy. I don't find shoes very comfortable ever, but I really like these.