Honored Contributor

Re: My new Dooney TSV smells fishy

On 11/19/2014 redngold said:
On 11/19/2014 stevieb said:

Why not add a little mayo, some boiled egg and pickle and make yourself a handbag salad...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Why not take your smartazz comments elsewhere?

Why not get a sense of humor...?

So your bag is fishy smelling and you're sending it back. It happens... This isn't the first nor will it be the last instance of someone receiving an odoriferous bag... Sorry for your disappointment, but really, no need to get testy...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

did you know...

Honored Contributor

On 11/19/2014 rdiazMiami said:

Hey RD!! Hope all is well with you! Any new Dooneys for you for Dooney Days...?!

Just started a thread on a coated cotton D&B I just purchased. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

I was really tempted by the large blue croco fino satchel but don't really like the lock or the pocket in front of the bag and for over $400 I have to love everything about it... I'll wait for as is or clearance prices. Did you get your Olivia satchel?

I hear that, RD. I love the light grey in both the croco and the lizard, and the Bordeaux lizard is gorgeous... But tempted as I am, and I am... the lock is sort of a deal-breaker, at least right now while they're still full price. Should I trip over one down the road at a great price, well, we'll see...

Wink

Honored Contributor

On 11/19/2014 milkmade said:
On 11/19/2014 brewhaha said:

Some Summer's Eve would help freshen it up.

{#emotions_dlg.lol} (. . . it took me a second)

Careful, it would appear feathers are easily ruffled around these parts... ahem...

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Wink

Valued Contributor

Why not add a little mayo, some boiled egg and pickle and make yourself a handbag salad...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

what a brilliant idea! Smiley Wink love your sense of humor and brightness....most of the times Smiley Wink
Respected Contributor

Another reason to wait until the line is available at Nordstrom where I can touch and smell it! And I have come to conclude that it is the lining and not the leather that smells.
Honored Contributor

This happened to me a few years ago when I ordered a D&B giraffe bag. I tried to air it out for a couple of weeks, but when the fishy smell did not go away, even thought I love giraffes I had to send it back. I wasn't sure if the fishy smell was coming from the coating or the lining inside. Since then, I am wary of coated, plasticy-looking bags in any brand...
New Contributor

Re: My Dooney Shelby Pebble Leather smells like metal............

[ Edited ]

I purchased the Dooney Shelby in the Pebble Leather, purple.  Was so looking forward to it.  I did not smell anything until I took it out of the plastic, removed the stuffing.  Wow!!!! This really rancid, metal type of smelll I finally noticed, after trying to figure out where the smell was coming from, after about 3 days.  I thought it was coming from a recent cold or my heating unit.  I was looking and looking everywhere around the house.  Finally, I was next to the bag and certainly, there the smell was.  I have purchased many a Dooney's and never, ever had this problem.  For $200 + some odd dollars, no one should have a smell coming from a handbag of all things.  Unfortunately, I cannot return it.  So, there goes my money down the drain.  Who wants to walk around with a smelly bag, let along give it to someone.  Poor, poor quality.

New Contributor

Rengold, thought it was just me.  Too bad I waited too long for a return.  On my handbag, it's the leather itself cause the items I had inside the bag, do not smell.  Such a waste of my hard earned money.  I have it in my garage, several days now, and it still smells.  A deodorize of any type is not going to help.  I totally get where you're coming from.

Honored Contributor

@redngold wrote:

Removed all the packaging and was hit with a fish smell, and there isn't even a hint of leather smell. What's going on with Dooney? I bought this bag because Dooney is supposed to be a purveyor of quality leather. My bag is going back.

I bought a bag in Florentino leather directly from Dooney that had that smell.   I don't think it's the fault of the handbag companies but rather is added insecticide applied by the shipping companies and is probably required. 

I hung mine in the kitchen and several times a day sprayed it with a mix of Don Aslett X-O deodorizer and water.   After a week or so,  the smell was gone.   You can't discern any smell on it now. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment