Super Contributor

Re: My coat bled dye onto my Logo Lock

I would talk to CS and get replacements for both items. The coat shouldn't be transferring color on everything and since it transferred to a new bag bought here, they should replace it as well. I would take pictures of the bag showing the difference in the color.

Honored Contributor

Call the Q. Their coat ruined their bag and as someone noted, maybe they'll replace the bag. Hey, it's worth a try. In the meantime, wash the coat again and try the vinegar, if it's still bleeding after that then you'll have to decide if it's worth keeping the coat.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Good luck with getting replacements for both.

I'd suggest the saddle soap and keep trying it. The dye from the coat is reacted dye (that is, exhausted and no longer able to make a bond with fabric or leather.) So it's sticking to the leather physically in the pores, like dirt. The dye coming off is called "crocking" and is a problem with dark colors--and why we wash clothes separated by color. The dye comes off over time because the exhausted dye sticks physically to the cloth.

So it's not a stain, per se, it's "soiled". Over time, the light lather of the saddle soap ought to be able to remove the dye particles from the leather. You might even try a soft brush (toothbrush?) rather than a sponge, to encourage any dye to wash off.

Honored Contributor

I'd focus on trying to get a replacement for the bag... I think the coat situation will right itself after a few washes...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Someone actually called me from CS last night right after I posted but I hadn't tried cleaning it yet so they said they would call me back today. Which they did. They suggested I return the coat and the bag and I told her I really do love my orange logo lock ( ample evidence of that in my other thread here LOL ) they had a couple left in stock so they are sending me a replacement in the lovely orange.

I sort of feel bad for sending it back, I mean it wasn't completely horrible but it does look like someone had been carrying it for a few years due to the transfer on all the usual rub spots. And while I've carried the bag every day since I got it, I don't work and I only go out 2-3x a week to run errands. It's spent 95% of the time sitting on a cabinet next to my computer desk so I could admire it. Last night I tried cleaning across the top where the leather folds over into the inside of the bag. I couldn't get it clean and can't believe how dark it was there. I also noticed more spots on the leather the lock hangs from. I really wanted to try my best to get it clean before considering other options.

I'm sure I'll be totally thrilled when the new one gets here and hug it and squeeze it and love it as much as the first one. In the meantime I've switched to my Flo shearling bag. It's a little cramped though.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 stevieb said:

I'd focus on trying to get a replacement for the bag... I think the coat situation will right itself after a few washes...

I did mark my return paperwork for the coat saying I wanted a replacement. I really like the coat. And I think it probably was just a fluke that that coat picked up more dye or didn't release it all or whatever in the process of production. I'm going to wash the new coat at least 3-4 times before I wear it and do a spot check with something ( maybe my husband has some stray leather pieces laying around) just to be safe before I wear it.

Super Contributor

jaxs mom, I'm glad to hear you'll be getting replacements and really impressed by the Q's actions.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 tough_kitty said: Wow, that's just terrible. I hope you can fix the bag. In the meantime, I ordered the black washable suede Dennis Baso coat and now I'm wondering - should I be careful wearing it with certain bags??

I've never had issues with suede before, but like Stevie posted I think that these kinds of things can happen as a fluke to any product. Years ago I didn't wash a new pair of jeans before wearing them and they left big blue marks on the leather seats of our truck. Much worse than the what happened to my logo lock. I saw it immediately and was able to get most of it out. But I'd bet that car interior leather is probably treated to reduce chance of permanent staining more than handbags are. By the way, I always make sure to wash dark colored pants now before wearing. I didn't think to do it with the coat though.

Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 rdiazMiami said:

jaxs mom, I'm glad to hear you'll be getting replacements and really impressed by the Q's actions.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Yes, I'm really impressed too. They called me the first time almost immediately after I posted this thread.

Super Contributor

On 11/5/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 11/5/2014 rdiazMiami said:

jaxs mom, I'm glad to hear you'll be getting replacements and <em>really</em> impressed by the Q's actions.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Yes, I'm really impressed too. They called me the first time almost immediately after I posted this thread.

Makes me want to buy a bag in appreciation (maybe the Dooney TSV)... {#emotions_dlg.w00t}