Respected Contributor

Re: My coat bled dye onto my Logo Lock

Years ago I had a D&C suede coat and a Medallion by Wathne purse. The color from the coat rubbed off all over the purse as well as my leather car seats. QVC replaced both the handbag and coat. They also paid to have my seats cleaned.

Valued Contributor

Wow, that's just terrible. I hope you can fix the bag. In the meantime, I ordered the black washable suede Dennis Baso coat and now I'm wondering - should I be careful wearing it with certain bags??
Honored Contributor

TK, I'd definitely wash it before wearing it if you have concerns the dye might rub off.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Those Mr. Clean Erasers are amazing! Years ago when they first came out I had one for a sample.

My (then 3 years old granddaughter) found a black magic marker that was the kind that is very permanent. She covered my maple coffee table with it.

I thought it was ruined! I figured I didn't have much to loose so I picked up that Mr. Clean thing and scrubbed the marker.

Well, it took off all of the marker and didn't touch the finish on the wood table. Even the top lacquer was not affected.

I swear by the thing now. Use it for everything. When the self tanning stuff gets in the creases of my skin, I take Mr. Clean in the shower and it takes off the extra tanner.

I should write a book on the uses of Mr. Clean Erraser (Oh! Snap! Someone probably already did).

Valued Contributor

Did you try a little alcohol? That got ink off the top of our trucks headliner...

Good luck!

Valued Contributor

On 11/4/2014 stevieb said:

TK, I'd definitely wash it before wearing it if you have concerns the dye might rub off.

Thanks for the tip, stevie! I'll do just that....if I decide I like the coat enough to keep it. Already not looking forward to the fact that I have to "babysit" it...
Frequent Contributor

I've used the magic erasers on two leather bags, one being an orange pebble leather dooney and the other a white Pebble leather. Both bags had dye transfer from New jeans I had worn. The magic eraser was AMAZING! It took out ALL the dye marks and didn't change anything about the leather. I couldn't believe it.
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 11/4/2014 stevieb said:

Thanks for the tip, stevie! I'll do just that....if I decide I like the coat enough to keep it. Already not looking forward to the fact that I have to "babysit" it...

It's everywhere these days, though, even with the pricey stuff. With everything being made 'overseas' and on the cheap, it only figures... It's a bummer, but better to be safe than sorry.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Ok I went to the store and got magic erase original and that isn't going to work, I'm getting a lot of orange dye from the bag rubbing off where I tried it under the handle. I also don't like the way that trying to clean the spots is changing the appearance of the leather, even from just trying the saddle soap. I think it's a lost cause. And after washing the coat I think it's still bleeding because I carried the bag while I wore the coat again today when to went to town. I wanted to see if the coat was safe before I carried one of my Flo leather Dooney's with it in a light color. I didn't try washing it with vinegar though because it was already in the dryer when I saw that post.

I'm just bummed. The bag isn't horrible, but it looks dirty like it's been carried for years instead of only a month old. I'm really careful with my things. I have light color ( the mustard and natural ) Flo leather Dooney's I've had longer and carried a lot more that barely look like they were used.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry this is happening to you,I have dooney chelsea in orange and I love it. I would take this to a shoe repair/leather professional to see what they can do. Please don't try anything else on your own or you may damage it even further or chemically set the stain. I'm sure they have seen this happen before. Look up reputable people, even if it costs more it's worth it, those bags aren't cheap. Good luck and I hope it can be saved.