Honored Contributor

My coat bled dye onto my Logo Lock

I was wearing my new Denim and Co black coat today with my orange Logo Lock and now I have some marks on my bag. There is some under the handle and a little on the back of the bag. I'm praying I'll be able to get it off. It just looks like gray dirt, but I know it's from the coat. I was at the store when I noticed it so I tried a little spit and it wasn't budging. Can I use leather cleaner? My husband has mink oil and saddle soap he uses for his boots.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: My coat bled dye onto my Logo Lock

I've had some success with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers...

Good luck, but I told you not to get that dang Logo Lock bag!

Seriously, I know you love the bag, so hope it works out.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I tried the saddle soap following the directions on the container. So I did it with a slightly damp cloth ( I used filtered water not tap) and just a little of the saddle soap. I found dark areas everywhere the coat rubbed the bag, under the handle from it resting on my shoulder, on the back of the bag and on the front where I hold it between my body and my arm and where the handle connects to the top of the bag. There is also some across the top edge of the bag in front. I'm left handed and it all lines up with how I carry it.

I started working under the handle because I figured at least that doesn't show when I'm carrying it on my shoulder. I can see why Dooney recommends just distilled water, and no cleaners because I got some orange dye on the cloth but it does look like it faded it some but I'm not sure because the only color showing on the cleaning cloth is orange, not black or brown. It still looks dirty though and I'm afraid to rub and remove more orange dye from the leather and end up with an uneven orange color. I tried cleaning the back and around the handle a little.

I'm going to wait until my husband gets home from work since he's more experienced at using saddle soap and cleaning leather than I am.

My coat is getting washed in hopes that this doesn't happen again. I'm just grateful I didn't switch to my Dooney Shearling Saddle bag today like I was going to because I can imagine how much worse it would have been on the Flo leather and the white shearling. At least the pebble leather has more natural resistance to staining than the Flo.

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 stevieb said:

I've had some success with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers...

Good luck, but I told you not to get that dang Logo Lock bag!

Seriously, I know you love the bag, so hope it works out.

I'm not sure if I have one of those, I might have to stop at the store when I go into town tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Try setting some cornstarch on the stains to see if it absorbs any of the color...

It's going to be dicey to find something that will remove the stain without messing with the orange leather.

Honored Contributor

Ok I'll try the cornstarch thing too, thanks

I was thinking if only I'd stuck with black bags I wouldn't have to worry about this, you wouldn't even notice. But I really love my orange logo lock. I was all on orange and black today. Black D&C pants and coat and an orange top with my orange logo lock, oh and my black shoes.

Honored Contributor

Also, if you try the Magic Eraser, try it dry first and just rub gently. If that doesn't work, you could dampen it. I got some (not all) stain off a beige color bag with one, and it didn't effect the leather color, but who's to say that'll always be the case... Do try the cornstarch though. And yep, by all means, soak that coat!

Honored Contributor

You might want to post a warning in D & Co. about that particular coat bleeding.

Respected Contributor

Sorry this happened to you. When you wash the coat, use cold water, and add some white vinegar to the water. Vinegar is supposed to set color. Don't pour it on the coat, pour it into the water.

As for the magic eraser.... be careful as it can change the texture of the leather as well as take off any color.

Since the handbag is pebbled leather, check the Dooney site to see what they say.... my guess is they recommend a gentle soap and a little water on a soft cloth. Pebbled leather is one of the only types of leather they recommend anything other than a dry cloth for cleaning. Good luck. Black dye is hard to remove.

Respected Contributor

Google ""how to remove black marks from leather purse"". There are several Youtube videos that might help.