Honored Contributor

Re: Metatarsalgia pain of the ball of the foot.

@caribbean girl @Yes I need thick soles.I wear brooks running shoes..expensive but worth it for the comfort.I walk at least three miles a day for fitness so I need comfort.

Valued Contributor

I think it would be easier to get innersoles of metatarsal pads to fit into shoes you like rather than trying to find out how thick the sole is.  Even if it is a particular thickness, it may have no give or cushioning and still not be comfortabe. 

Trusted Contributor

I do. Currently wear a pair of clear, stick-on metatarsal pads on the bottom of my feet. You have to get them in the correct position for them to work though. Not on the ball of the feet, but right under that area. That helps to splay out the toes a bit, taking pressure off the nerves. Spenco has support right in that correct area.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@caribbean girl I feel so sorry for you!  I was having SO much pain  this time last year, I could barely walk after standing all day although I loved what I'm doing.

I got these metatarsal gel pads from amazon.  They go in the shoe just behind where big bone in the ball of the foot behind your large toe is.

I also wear metatarsal inserts in my boots in the winter.

Also, Foot Smart dot com has loads of pads and inserts for us.

I buy Dr Scholl's insoles that are similar to this..  They are oval and hit under the ball of your feet.   They make a world of difference.

Valued Contributor

I have the same problem. I mostly wear comfort shoes such as easy spirit, Clarks, Ecco, etc. I can't wear ones with thin soles.
Respected Contributor

@caribbean girlI can relate to your issue as I have the xact same problem.  I was diagnosed w/Morton'sNeuroma in my left foot about 4.5 years ago.  Had all sorts of injections, PT, insoles and metatarsal pads, all to no avail.  I too had a surgery which did nothing for my pain and in fact made my pain worse.  Took 1 year just to get my foot back to where it was before the surgery!

Anyway, the only things that help me are #1 - Birkenstocks - sandals, not the closed toe shoes.  The toe bar in the sandals lifts the foot in just the right spot to alleviate the metatarsal, ball of foot pain.  #2 - Altra sneakers - they might be a little funny looking, but they are zero-drop - meaning heel and toe height is equal, so no pressure and they are shaped to the anatomy of a foot, no narrow toe box like most athletic sneakers.  #3 - Spenco brand insoles.  They have the metatarsal cushion built in and you can order them in a thin enough pad that still provides comfort yet fits inside your shoes.  Sometimes insoles / orthopedics take up so much room in a shoe there is no room for your foot.

It's a completely aggravating condition and unless you have it no one knows how important good arch support and forefoot cushioning is. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I’ve been having this pain in my foot also, I think I increased walking/ running recently, maybe aggravated it. Soon it will be Birk sandal weather here, so that’s good! For now, I’ve been wearing my Sketchers because they have the cushy memory foam that helps... Feel better all- 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have metatarsal pain, but I do have a sore on the bottom of my big toe.  It is not rough and is not like a corn.  Just red and sore.  I've been putting Neosporin and a bandaid on it every day, but it hasn't helped much.  Been like this for a few weeks.

I need to go to the Podiatrist, I know, but I don't like him and he is in w/a lot of other Drs and I am afraid to ask for a different one.

Occasional Contributor

I have searched on Amazon and there are so many brands. May I ask what brand you chose & style number? TY

Valued Contributor

Re: Metatarsalgia pain of the bsall of the foot.

I second the other poster who recommended Spenco shoes.  I have plantar fascitis and their sandals are a lifesaver when I go to walk after waking up in the morning.  Spenco actually has the tsv today and I'm watching it right now.  They have a metatarsal cushion in their shoes.  Dr. Pagano is explaning it right now.