Honored Contributor

When I saw my orthopaedic surgeon on Monday I had on pair of Tide Vionics (my go to everyday shoe).

I recently had knee surgery we got on the subject of "poor shoe support" because she didn't think Vionics had any support or good option during healing time.

She suggested looking at purchasing a everyday sandal by Mephisto.  I went to large shoe store today to try on. Ugh to me they seemed "hard to walk", hard footbed & uncomfortable.

Salesperson told me they'd mold to my foot.  At the price ($158) I didn't buy them as the last thing I need is another pair of unworn & uncomfortable shoes in my closet.

Can you give me feedback on these shoes -- good or bad. 

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1. Anybody I know who knows anything about fitting shoes would fall out laughing over the concept that the Vionic "Tide" is supportive.  It has an arch support but to be a supportive shoe, the whole shoe has to be supportive and hug the foot to keep it stable.  When I wear a shoe like the Tide, I get a sharp, shooting pain in the top of my right foot, a foot on which I've had surgery for extreme pronation.  Once I quit wearing the shoes, it takes several weeks for the pain to diminish.

I know Mephisto is sold by better shoe stores, are supposed to be great quality and are very expensive.  How they rate on the support scale, I dont know.  Usually large metro areas have a shoe store or two which specialize in fitting problem feet.  They have sales people who are specially trained to fit shoes.  You don't find "cute" shoes in these stores. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Everything you state is true regarding Vionics.  No support in upper foot is true.  Interestingly over the past few weeks I've been having terrible cramping pain on the top of both feet (mostly at night).  Believe me, I know these offer no support but their comfy to just slip on & go.  (Killed my feet 4 days walking in Vegas I was crippled from the pain😡).

The store I went to was "happy feet" it's a specialty shoe store they also sell specialty orthotics.  They had Birkenstock, Algeria and a few other high end shoes.  I tried them but they all feel so hard-in the footbed.  I know many people love Birkenstock's -- I pronate (think that's what they call it) and can't stand a closed shoe.

I originally bought Vionics as I had plantar fiascitis (sp) stopped for years BUT It's back in my right heel...ouch!

These shoes have a toe ring and nice strap support.  Of course, coupons are never valid on "name" brands☹️.

They don't have a good return policy. at this store -- may consider buying at Zappos.

Thank you for your reply🙂

Honored Contributor

I had a few pairs of Mephisto sandals and wore them for years.  I just loved them and they wore wonderfully.  But that was a number of  years ago.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1.  I remember when you had that foot crises in Vegas.  I suggested you go buy a supportive pair of athletic shoes so your trip wouldn't be ruined.  Nothing more miserable than feet that hurt.  It's hard to accept the fact you can't wear cute shoes when your feet are screaming for support.  Why don't you try a supportive athletic shoe for your shopping trips and save the others for social occasions?  You don't need to spend a bunch of money; just try it.  Get some from Zappo's and return if they don't work for you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I have a pair of Mephisto shoes I bought for a trip to Europe a few years ago where I knew I would be doing a lot of walking. These shoes do. not. wear. out. They are incredibly supportive. Best shoes I've ever owned....and they're actually pretty cute. I can't tell you about their sandals, though. I only own the shoes. They seemed a bit heavy to me at first, but now that I"m used to them they just seem really supportive and stable.

I wear them all the time.....and they still look new. Haven't worn out a bit. Great shoe!

Honored Contributor

I can't speak for these shoes you mentioned, but I can speak of foot and ankle pain and I really feel for you or anyone else who has these issues!  Oh, my -- I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! I have had these problems for quite a few years.  I recently thought I was getting much better and was able to walk so well with my orthotics and supportive walking athletic shoes, but have recently had a terrible set back.  

I am now waiting for a doctor's appointment and don't know what they will tell me to do.  It's a very daunting task to find comfortable footwear and there is not much worse than foot and ankle pain.  I wish you a lot of luck on your search for good and comfortable shoes and hope you find relief.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Emma Bunting wrote:

I have a pair of Mephisto shoes I bought for a trip to Europe a few years ago where I knew I would be doing a lot of walking. These shoes do. not. wear. out. They are incredibly supportive. Best shoes I've ever owned....and they're actually pretty cute. I can't tell you about their sandals, though. I only own the shoes. They seemed a bit heavy to me at first, but now that I"m used to them they just seem really supportive and stable.

I wear them all the time.....and they still look new. Haven't worn out a bit. Great shoe!

I have 2 pairs that I got several years ago. I concur: they are comfortable, very supportive, they do not wear out and still look like new. I even hiked up Diamond Head with them. There was no breaking in time, that I can recall.

If they don't feel great right off the bat, I wouldn't get them.

Honored Contributor

I looked at the Mephisto sandals on Amazon.  They had some cute models, but the footbeds looked like Birkenstocks to me...which I think are comfortable.

They appear to be just another Birkenstock type brand. I went out to their website to read about their technology and there was nothing to indicate that they are super supportive, just that they are comfortable.

i have troubled feet too and a really bad knee.  I do not feel that a tie shoe that is

" supportive" is helpful at all. This type of shoes make my feet hurt even more.  I can't stand to have confined feet.  

i have two pairs of Vionic sandals.  I know from experience that my knees do feel a lot better in this brand.  When I wear other brands, I can feel the difference.

If it were me, I'd just wear what is most comfortable. Shoes are an individual choice. What is comfortable for you may not be comfortable to me or anyone else.  There is no one brand that works for everyone.

Respected Contributor

I find Birkenstock perfect. Especially the ones that have a "soft footbed" that they note on certain styles.

I love the Birkenstock for the support but found the footbed hard, when they started adding a thin, dense foam layer it changed everything. I wear them in winter with heavy socks, and all summer. Gone is my foot pain and planters fasciitis.