Super Contributor

During last night's PM Style I ordered the G.I.L.I. backpack in blush. I have been toying with the bag for awhile and finally decided to order. I'm afraid if I don't order soon, it will disappear forever. Does anyone own this bag and what do you think of it? Do you use it as an everyday bag or just a backpack. Interested in hearing from you all. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Lisa's G.I.L.I. Backpack

I am not crazy about everyday backpack. When people walk with them they forget they have them and hit people by accident, also every time you have to get your wallet, it's a pain in the neck. I hope you don't have those problems.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

So do I. I'm anxious to hear about every one's experience using this bag on a daily basis.

Respected Contributor

I always worry about pick-pockets with these things......way too easy for the crooks if you're in a crowded situation.

Super Contributor

I think I'll be using this mostly as a handbag and wearing it over the shoulder. I agree about pick pockets in a crowded area. It looks so good as a handbag, don't you think?

Respected Contributor

On 12/30/2014 EZ shopper said:

I think I'll be using this mostly as a handbag and wearing it over the shoulder. I agree about pick pockets in a crowded area. It looks so good as a handbag, don't you think?

Yes.....liked it when Courtney was holding it as a reg. handbag.

Super Contributor

It looks like a big bunch of gorgeous leather. Just the look I like. Now that they have put in on a bunch of EZ pays, I'm afraid it might disappear from sight once it sells out and now that Lisa is gone. What do you think?

Respected Contributor

I purchased and returned the GILI crossbody bag earlier this year - in every color. The quality of the leather on the caramel colored bag was horrible. It was all rumpled and wrinkled; a really overprocessed hide. The black bag was OK, but the leather just didn't seem to be top notch, and the sewing along the curved top of the flap was defective. I was also worried about the brads that hold the top handle on coming loose. The blush one I loved, but just couldn't see myself carrying that color every day of the year.

So I started looking around for a replacement backpack style, hoping to find the Gianni Notaro backpack which the GILI version copies nearly identically. I found one on eBay, bought it, and it is fabulous. The closure is slightly different, because it is minus that little stirrup detail. That is fine with me. It might be an inch or two shorter from top to bottom, again, fine with me. I paid less than half of what I paid for the GILI backpack, after QVC's notoriously high shipping and handling, plus tax on shipping and handling. And I believe the quality of the leather is better. It is smoother and heavier, with no oddball wrinkling. It is my go-to black bag these days, when I want a handbag and not a tote. I was so impressed with the Italian product that I also bought another Italian backpack style bag - by Albertia di Canio, again off of eBay.

Functionality of the GILI/Notaro backpack is excellent. You really can carry it all three ways - shoulder, backpack, crossbody. When carrying it as a backpack, you just have to push the top handle to the back and fold it down. There is a back zipper pocket for things you want to reach right away. I really think a backpack is for someone who is interested in carrying things, but not necessarily getting in and out of the bag multiple times before arriving at a destination. That is me. I put my wallet in the zipper pocket and the few other items I carry in the main compartment during the week, and wallet and phone in the main compartment on the weekend. If you are constantly getting in and out of your bag a backpack might not be for you.

I am pretty much done with GILI bags these days. I sold all of my Roma totes on eBay after I bought a couple of Brahmin totes and the Italian backpacks. I just think the price is too high for the quality of product received. It did not make sense to pay more to get a knockoff of something when I can scout around and find the real thing at a lower price.

That said, I think Lisa and her team copied some really great items, the backpack being one of them. I just do not believe that their Chinese manufacturing source provided a consistently good product. So if you get it, inspect carefully and enjoy!

Occasional Contributor

I saw a D olce Vita backpack that Amy presented earlier yesterday that was very nice.
Super Contributor

That was a great post. Thanks for all your input. I'm sorry that you sold your Roma totes, I love the ones I own. As for the backpack, I will use it as a handbag mostly. I work in a secure area and cannot bring a handbag with me, therefore, I do not need to be in and out of the bag a lot. Just need it to carry all my stuff. I love the look of this as a handbag and I am nuts about the blush color. I hope all goes well with it.