Honored Contributor

Re: LEAD Poisoning in QVC handbags?

It's so nice to see all the animal lovers stand up in this thread {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Of course I don't leave my bag out on purpose so he can chew it ( it's actually a different cat than the one in the picture, I have 5 cats). Once I saw the teeth marks, and caught him in the act, I try and make sure I put it up out of his reach, but sometimes you need to put your bag down where you are. For some reason it's just this one Dooney bag he likes, the Florentine medium toggle crossbody. He loves to chew on the toggle and the corners where the top folds over. My other Dooney's he leaves alone. I think he is a little neurotic since he was a rescue and was found with his littermates living in a parking lot. He's also addicted to chewing anything plastic or that makes a crackling sound. It's a testament to the quality of Dooney leather that all he's managed to do put some teeth indentations in the leather, he hasn't actually damaged it.

His name is Jackson and where I got the inspiration for my username jaxs mom.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

On 9/19/2014 3star said: Yes, I found a lead disclosure on a mirror that came from California. I believe it is the actual mirror and not the frame. My DH and I figured since we are not eating or sniffing the mirror, we should be fine and not panic. Some of these claims are really over the top.

3star - absolutely everything is marked for California's ridiculous standards. Things that pass muster in other states, won't in California. Probably one of the reasons they are broke, among a zillion other things.

Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 magemay said:
On 9/18/2014 ical said:
On 9/18/2014 happy housewife said:

You have to ingest lead to be poisoned from it so it would be best to not be eating your bags and this will no longer be an issue for you.Lead is not absorbed through the skin.

It can be absorbed by the skin if organic lead. So were all the lead laden jewelry pieces recalled and tossed made of organic lead or inorganic lead?

Inorganic

How does that work then? If only organic lead can be absorbed through the skin, then why was there a big fuss over the jewelry items, which contained lead, if you are saying they were made with inorganic lead?

Frequent Contributor

A while ago I purchased a coated fabric floral Dooney from QVC, and with it came the Prop. 65 Warning about dangerous toxicity (I live in California). I called CS and the lady sounded annoyed with me, saying it was only California residents that received this warning and that she herself had this kind of purse without any problems. I gave it a lot of thought - it was a pretty bag, and I hated to return it. But then I thought, what if I were visiting someone and their toddler or pet chewed on the bag when I wasn't looking, and became ill? I would feel terrible, and I just didn't want to take that chance, so regretfully I returned it. Better safe than sorry.

Regular Contributor

On 9/18/2014 di-mc said:

If you are planning to chew on your bag, you might want to change your mind.

I recommend Oryany - very tasty and much zestier than Dooney.

Super Contributor

On 9/19/2014 ChicagoHeather said:
On 9/18/2014 di-mc said:

If you are planning to chew on your bag, you might want to change your mind.

I recommend Oryany - very tasty and much zestier than Dooney.

Jelly bags should come in flavors.

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered about crystal.........crystal glasses, etc. Doesn't it contain lead? Used to always use crystal wine and water glasses years ago.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Mz iMac said:
On 9/18/2014 jaxs mom said:

Actually my cat is a little obsessed with chewing the leather on one of my Dooney's so I'd like to know.

Why do you keep an expensive item near your cat to chew? If my cat was obsessed w/chewing something expensive of mine, his 9 lives would instantly evaporate to 0.

Really... you would ki*l your cat because you were not responsible enough to keep your precious items away from him. You should NOT own a cat!!!!!

Valued Contributor

On 9/19/2014 Luvmycats said:

Why do you keep an expensive item near your cat to chew? If my cat was obsessed w/chewing something expensive of mine, his 9 lives would instantly evaporate to 0.

Lovely comment-Hopefully, you will NEVER have animals! Not funny even if you meant it to be. In poor taste! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Unfortunately by her statement "If my cat"....and "his nine lives" makes me think she has a cat. I have four beautiful rescues and they come before any material things I have. I can't imagine saying something like that.

Honored Contributor

I personally would not worry in the least about lead content in handbags.

As for California's warning (Prop 65), that's what it is -- a warning that the item contains a toxic ingredient above the acceptable levels. The consumer can then decide for herself. And even with these regs in place, there are still companies who are now in trouble for causing a high level of lead in the soil in nearby residential areas and high amounts of arsenic in the air.

Considering how often I read threads like this or complaints about toxic materials, I'm always so surprised that people mock the state's regulations. I bet they might feel differently if they themselves were ever affected by the lack of standards. I wish there were similar federal guidelines.

And btw, California is hardly broke now. In fact, the state has quite a nifty little surplus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland