Honored Contributor

Re: LEAD Poisoning in QVC handbags?

On 9/18/2014 MeganRose said:
On 9/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

If you read about it, shouldn't you be telling us if this is a problem? This post title sounds like fear mongering to me.<br /> <br /> The only articles I can find about this are from 2012 and earlier. I can find one article from 2013, but it references articles from 2012 and includes no newer information. In any of the articles I looked at, none of the brands listed are sold on QVC. Further, the report found lead in non-leather and vinyl purses and recommended buying leather purses to avoid the lead content. The CEH web page says that they've seen a decrease in the amount of lead in bags since 2012.<br /> <br /> The Center for Environmental Health is the non-profit behind this and still performing tests on bags, belts, and shoes. They post their findings on Twitter: @CEHPurseWatch.

I iust told you it is a problem. I just wanted to order a Dooney (fabric coated tote) not so sure now. By the way, there are many articles. You could not have possibly read all the articles.

I did not. The others pointed me back to the same articles that cited the sources and did the report, so I went directly to those.

Dooney was not listed in the report or in any of the other articles I read.

Honored Contributor

Actually my cat is a little obsessed with chewing the leather on one of my Dooney's so I'd like to know.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 jaxs mom said:

Actually my cat is a little obsessed with chewing the leather on one of my Dooney's so I'd like to know.

In 2009 they tested 300 bags and found 43 bags with lead over the federal limit for children's items. Not good that they found any, but that's about 14% of the tested bags being over the limit, so this isn't a rampant issue and it was something they found in fake leather bags. The numbers have been going since 2010. Dooney bags didn't test positive, but Dooney doesn't do fake leather. I don't know if they tested coated cotton, but you can contact the CEH and ask them. I posted links to the website as well as their Twitter name.

Their reports are sketchy to me, though. They say "high amounts" but didn't really provide numbers in most cases.

Super Contributor

Anyone living in California will find a lead disclosure per Proposition 65 on your invoice if the item you've ordered contains lead.

I was baffled once when I'd ordered a sterling jewelry item and saw the notice on the invoice. I called the vendor and they assured me it was a mistake, QVC emailed me days later apologizing for the error.

Information about Prop 65

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info MeganRose. This is not good they coat bags containing lead. It is scary.
Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 QMaven said:
On 9/18/2014 di-mc said:

If you are planning to chew on your bag, you might want to change your mind.

What if a child chews on the bag?

But the bag is for an adult. Are you saying the entire world has to be made "baby safe"?

What if a child eats a penny from a 100% lead free handbag? Should coins be made the size of saucers?

Not trying to be difficult, but if anyone's worried about handbags and lead, then I'd start worrying about what is close to the skin--shoes, sandals, gloves, apparel (skirts, jackets, coats).

Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

In 2009 they tested 300 bags and found 43 bags with lead over the federal limit for children's items. Not good that they found any, but that's about 14% of the tested bags being over the limit, so this isn't a rampant issue and it was something they found in fake leather bags. The numbers have been going since 2010. Dooney bags didn't test positive, but Dooney doesn't do fake leather. I don't know if they tested coated cotton, but you can contact the CEH and ask them. I posted links to the website as well as their Twitter name.

Their reports are sketchy to me, though. They say "high amounts" but didn't really provide numbers in most cases.

Thanks Chynna, it doesn't seem like there is anything for me to worry about.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

You have to ingest lead to be poisoned from it so it would be best to not be eating your bags and this will no longer be an issue for you.Lead is not absorbed through the skin.

Honored Contributor

Anyone allowing a pet or a child to chew on an expensive leather handbag has more problems than just if the dye has lead. Give the kid or the pet something appropriate to chew on for cripes sake.

Honored Contributor

Why do you keep an expensive item near your cat to chew? If my cat was obsessed w/chewing something expensive of mine, his 9 lives would instantly evaporate to 0.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif