Super Contributor

LEAD Poisoning in QVC handbags?

Have read several articles on lead poisoning in handbags from many higher end department stores. Is this a problem for our bags purchased at the Q? Please google this subject.

Respected Contributor

Re: LEAD Poisoning in QVC handbags?

Is it due to the metal hardware on the bags?
Respected Contributor

If you are planning to chew on your bag, you might want to change your mind.

Super Contributor

no, it has to do with the chemicals used to finish the leather and PVC (vinyl or plastic, like fabric coated Dooney's, for example) bags. I am nervous about this. We need information from Qvc. Belk, Penneys, Target, Tjmaxx, Guess, Tori Burch, and others.

Yellow, red, orange are particularly bad. Articles asking us not to purchase vinyl of any kind,like wallets, make-up, pouches. We can send bags to be tested for free. Others have done it. I'm just passing this info. on. Please , no need to be sarcastic. Many of us have small children who may chew on our bags, or we ourselves can transfer this to our mouths.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Can you point to an article that mentions this? The only thing I can think of is if something were made in China. They have been known to have lead issues in several things. The only thing you can do is contact the manufacturer, or contact Q's customer service.

Honored Contributor

If you read about it, shouldn't you be telling us if this is a problem? This post title sounds like fear mongering to me.

The only articles I can find about this are from 2012 and earlier. I can find one article from 2013, but it references articles from 2012 and includes no newer information. In any of the articles I looked at, none of the brands listed are sold on QVC. Further, the report found lead in non-leather and vinyl purses and recommended buying leather purses to avoid the lead content. The CEH web page says that they've seen a decrease in the amount of lead in bags since 2012.

The Center for Environmental Health is the non-profit behind this and still performing tests on bags, belts, and shoes. They post their findings on Twitter: @CEHPurseWatch.

2009 blog post with a link to the report is here.

2012 update is here.

CEH is a watchdog group that's all over everything from microbeads in toothpaste to formaldehyde in nail polish.

Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Can you point to an article that mentions this? The only thing I can think of is if something were made in China. They have been known to have lead issues in several things. The only thing you can do is contact the manufacturer, or contact Q's customer service.

Hey- just google lead poisoning in handbags. lots of different articles. Found this quite by accident.

Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

If you read about it, shouldn't you be telling us if this is a problem? This post title sounds like fear mongering to me.

The only articles I can find about this are from 2012 and earlier. I can find one article from 2013, but it references articles from 2012 and includes no newer information. In any of the articles I looked at, none of the brands listed are sold on QVC. Further, the report found lead in non-leather and vinyl purses and recommended buying leather purses to avoid the lead content. The CEH web page says that they've seen a decrease in the amount of lead in bags since 2012.

The Center for Environmental Health is the non-profit behind this and still performing tests on bags, belts, and shoes. They post their findings on Twitter: @CEHPurseWatch.

I iust told you it is a problem. I just wanted to order a Dooney (fabric coated tote) not so sure now. By the way, there are many articles. You could not have possibly read all the articles.

Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 di-mc said:

If you are planning to chew on your bag, you might want to change your mind.

What if a child chews on the bag?
Honored Contributor

Not going to worry about it. I survived to my age without worrying about some of this stuff.