Super Contributor

Kate Spade or Tory Burch handbag - is one better in your opinion?

I am going to purchase a new handbag for spring/summer and have my eyes on either a Tory Burch or Kate Spade. I'm kind of leaning towards the look of the Tory Burch, but was wondering if anyone had experience with either brand. What are your thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Kate Spade or Tory Burch handbag - is one better in your opinion?

I love the look of Tory but I think her bags are not worth the money. They look great but once you look at the leather I think they cut corners as much as possible there, while still trying to keep the "high end" they want. I do have 2 pairs of Revas one leopard pair that I constantly get comments on.

Kate Spade doesn't appeal to me as far as the style, but I think you might be able to catch a sale more often.

Interested in what others have to say.

Honored Contributor

I think both are good brands but like so many other middle of the road brands, over-touted and, unless on sale, over-priced. I do like both brands though. For me, it always gets down to the specific bag, though. If I like one better than the other then that's the one I'll choose, not the brand.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

Kate Spade has soooooo many styles and more variety than TB. As for quality, I think they are par with one another. You may have better luck finding a KS on sale.

Super Contributor

I have no Kate Spade, but I will say that Tory Burch certainly goes overboard in packing and delivering from the website. I bought a very inexpensive thing from there and I couldn't believe the way it was wrapped and presented. Very classy.

Honored Contributor

Both are great. The styles are different IMO. Kate Spade has more variety and price points. Kate Space can be conservative, and whimsical. Tory Burch is a little more consevative IMO. Both are equally well made, and luxurious. I own about 5 Tory Burch, and about 8 Kate Spade.But I have bought a few for my GD's over the years. I have leather, and straw bags from each line. Kate Spade has better sales for sure. But Kate Spade also designs for her outlet, her regular line and for Saturday... which a medium price point. The quality is always there, but better in her main line. Tory Burch has one line, lousy sales, and has a lot of sell outs! Both designer spoil you rotton with their impeccible delivery. You feel your purchase means something to them, and you mean something to them as a customer. The tissue, the boxes, the high quality bags they use to wrap your purchase. Tory Burch even has a fancy sealed envelope to contain your bill. Hahah, they don't want you to see it right away that's what, LOL!

Kahootz

If you have a pictue of each bag, we could probably enable you, I mean HELP you! I think you will be happy with either purchase. Kate spade has special sales if you sign up for emails. I have gotton a 450.00 handbag for 102 with Tax!

Also, both designers use mrrebates, so I get a big rebate from these two designers. Tory Burch has had 10% rebate at times, that is a nice chunk of change you get back, (concidering the price of her bags).

I have bought my granddaughter several TB bags for special landmarks in their life. . Two are crossbody bags and she has had them for 4-5 years, and went through college with them. So they had to wear like iron, she still wears them. I bought her the TB that has the chain strap, and the big gold, TB metal logo on the front for graduation from college. She loves it, but it is really heavy. The strap weighs it down. Take that into concideration f you are concidering one of her "status" bags. The metal is heavy. The leather and the stitching are wonderful!

Also, be careful with some TB crossbody bags. Some of the straps are NOT adjustable, and were too long for my GD, and too short for me.

HTH

Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2014 stevieb said:

I think both are good brands but like so many other middle of the road brands, over-touted and, unless on sale, over-priced. I do like both brands though. For me, it always gets down to the specific bag, though. If I like one better than the other then that's the one I'll choose, not the brand.

Hi Stevie!

I think the stitching and leather quality is superior in both lines. They are overpriced, especially TB. But they do last. I am amzed at the stitching in TB. Also, TB has the best straw bags, they last and are coated, and so well made. My granddaughter has many of her pieces. She had to return a wallet and the Reva shoes once because of a defect, and they went out of their way to not only fix the wallet and replace the shoes, but gave her a little coin purse for "pain and suffering", LOL!

You can't beat KS sales though! She has real sales!

I choose the the bag, not the vendor as well. I am sck, and need an intervention. But I am probably beyond help at this point.

Super Contributor

You guys are great, thanks! Shoekitty, there are two different styles I like of Tory Burch's line and the one from Kate Spade is the Sloan Grove Court (see pic). I bought the Michael Kors large Selma handbag in Black and have been sporting it all winter. Great bag! I gravitate towards a more structured handbag. From what I gather from everyone's replies I guess I can't go wrong with either brand. I will need to get rid of a few B. Makowsky's to make room for the new one!Grove court

Super Contributor

I have KS eyeglass frames. Does that count?

(That's about my $$$ limit I think....lol)

Trusted Contributor

I love Tory burch her leather is amazing, I also have her large tote which is not leather and have had people ask me who's bag it is, not everyone knows her signature symbol. I'm not a Kate spade lover so , I would say Tory Burch.