Frequent Contributor

Re: Joanna Gaines and Birkenstocks

I have worn Birks for years and have a very similar pair of Arizonas in smooth tan leather, not suede. I love the taupe suede though and if I had the money to spend right now, I would probably buy them. I enjoy seeing Birks come in and out of fashion - a few years ago the white ones were all the rage on the runways.

Valued Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@sunsetbeach   Yes, the footbed is exactly the same, except that IMO they are actually a little softer and more flexible out of the box than the Birks.  I think they actually have a little more arch support too.  The sizing is the same, and honestly, since I started buying the Calceo, I don't wear my Birks as much as I used to because I prefer the Calceo.

Thank you @2blonde!  That is super helpful!

Valued Contributor

Sitting here wearing my suede dark brown Arizona's that I have been wearing for close to 15 years by now.  So broken in and so comfy...wear them year round as slippers with socks in winter & no socks in summer.  Birkenstocks are just about the only shoes I wear 95% of the time including the suede clogs & nubuck clogs for winter.  Only time I do not wear Birkenstocks is when it is raining or in the snow.  Have many other styles/material combos...a closet full...so I am set for a long while!  Have actually been thinking of having these brown suede Arizona's refurbished...but then they will be like new again & will take years to get that comfy feeling again!  Decisions, decisions...lol!

Respected Contributor

Is Joanna Gaines going to sell them on Q.V.C. ? Is she the women that has a remodeling show with her husband ?

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971 

I have many many pairs of Birkenstocks/Birki's. I bought the first pair on the Q around 12 yrs ago. I never have to break them in - I just put my feet in - and they're sooooo comfortable. I don't have any feet problems and I wear size 6-1/2 wide in most shoes - but in the Birkenstocks/Birki's I'm able to wear 37 Regular. I wear them all-year-round.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Apparently "The Internet" is now obsessed with Joanna Gaines' shoes - taupe Arizonas. They are becoming one of the most searched for items!

First, I obviously know who she is, although I've never seen her show. Second, a lot of us have known about Birkenstock for a long time. 

So if you're a Birkenstock lover like me (my first pair in my 20's was a pair of men's Arizonas!) sit back, relax, and watch the frenzy! LOL! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom - totally unrelated to Joanna Gaines, but I bought some taupe suede Arizona's last summer.  LOVE them.  

I've always loved Birkenstocks, but last year was my first time trying the Arizonas which I had always considered too "clunky".  (I liked the Sydneys and Floridas), but now I'm a huge fan of the Suede Arizonas with the soft footbed.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

I still have my Arizonas! I haven’t worn them for a very long time though. I watched her show on Hulu and never once cared about what shoes she was wearing. I haven’t heard a bit about her anywhere!

Valued Contributor

@kivah 

It's not like the same feeling of breaking in a pair of regular shoes that I was mentioning, as I always have no problems with Birks...but it's that total conforming of the footbed that takes time to develop is what I would miss if I was to have them refurbished...it's that "ahhhh" feeling when you put your foot into your own already conformed orthotics I would miss!  😊  I wear them year round too except in rain & snow, and I bring them with me to change into whenever it is raining or snowing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971 

When I was young, my mother told me u should never have to break in shoes. They should be comfortable the minute u put them on. If shoes don't fit properly or they're the wrong shoe for you - you shouln't buy them. That's why so many people have bunions, callouses, corns, and many more severe feet problems. I'm 78 yrs old and have NO feet problems.

Respected Contributor

Birkenstock shoes are different. The footbed molds itself to your feet, that's why there is a break in period.