Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ivanka Trump being sued over a few of her shoe designs. Hmmm....

The Fashion Law blog regularly covers lawsuts about fashion including shoes. This is one of my favorite fashion blogs as it discusses copyright, patents, and related legal issues involving anything fashion in layman's terms.

Aquazzura is suing Ivanka Trump and Marc Fisher for copying his shoe designs. Fisher manufactures the Trump shoes.

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/aquazzura-files-trademark-suit-against-ivanka-trump-and-licensee

And Aquazzura is also suing Steve Madden shoes for copying as well.

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/aquazzura-sues-steve-madden-over-predatory-copies

Honored Contributor

Poor Steve Madden, he can't catch a break.

Wolf of Wall Street

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think SOME might want to drag her name through the mud "just because" now.  You think?

I doubt an Italian designer gives two hoots what the designer's name is. 

No one is dragging anyone's name through the mud.  There appears to be more than a little similarity.

Honored Contributor

I looked at the photos of the shoes in question and I'd say, except for the color, Ivanka Trump's are an exact copy of the Aquazzura shoes.  I have no idea whether Ivanka offers them in red as well, but I think it's totally accurate to say they're a knock-off and the Italian designer has a perfect right to sue to stop the lifting of his designs.

Similar is one thing, exactly the same is another.

Esteemed Contributor

The Ivanka red shoe is as identical as one can get to the Aquazzura shoe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ivanka Trump has some very nice Items in her line, and she is gorgeous.  Also gorgeous and fsbulous are Ivana and Melania Trump.  I don't think she needs to copy anyone.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

One of the shoes she's been accused of copying is a red heel.  It looks similar to the other designer's, but Donald J. Pliner makes one that looks like it too.  Why isn't D.J. Pliner also sued?  Makes me think this is politically motivated.

If it's a red-bottomed sole...I get it...I understand the lawsuit.  I have not read the particulars.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Ivanka Trump has some very nice Items in her line, and she is gorgeous.  Also gorgeous and fsbulous are Ivana and Melania Trump.  I don't think she needs to copy anyone.

My daughter has a couple of Ivanka's pumps and likes them very much. That said, I don't think that being gorgeous --  or fabulous? -- has any bearing on a copyright case, if that is indeed what this is.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I looked at the photos of the shoes in question and I'd say, except for the color, Ivanka Trump's are an exact copy of the Aquazzura shoes.  I have no idea whether Ivanka offers them in red as well, but I think it's totally accurate to say they're a knock-off and the Italian designer has a perfect right to sue to stop the lifting of his designs.

Similar is one thing, exactly the same is another.

Yes, the Ivanka Trump shoes with the fluffy strings on the top of the vamp do come in red. I saw them in store at Winners in Canada two weeks ago. They weren't in my size though but I took a good look at them as I've read about the copying issue involving these shoes before.

Winners is owned by TJX, the parent company of T.J. Maxx and Marshall's in the U.S. I regularly see Marc Fisher manufactured shoes at Winners including the Marc Fisher shoes that QVC sells. Other brands that Fisher manufactures that I see at Winners all the time are Ivanka Trump, Tommy Hilfiger, and Guess. I also sometimes see Isaac Mizrahi shoes too -- Fisher makes those as well.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I just read the article about Steve Madden.  Seems he makes a habit of copying, almost to the last stitch, other designer's items.  He seems to be thumbing his nose at all the other designers who've filed infringement lawsuits against him, as long as he's making a profit off other's talents and creativity.

I have no respect for anyone who would do that.  Maybe one of the lawsuits will actually make him pay up.