Honored Contributor

Ivanka Trump being sued over a few of her shoe designs. Hmmm....

[ Edited ]

I read the article and saw the shoes (link below) and the thing is, I've seen similar designs from MANY designers. QVC has a few that are similar too. If the look is a strappy sandal, how are you going to keep everyone else from featuring a strappy sandal? Be the first in  the season to sell it?

Can a shoe design actually be copyrighted? I know I wait for a less expensive version of a design to come out and in fact, they're all usually out at the same time....can you actually win a case like this? If the designer won, what would that do the market regarding shoes?

Sometimes I think people sue because they can. Or maybe it's because her last name is Trump, who knows but that wouldn't be a smart use of money either, would it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Ivanka Trump being sued over a few of her shoe designs. Hmmm....

@SahmIam wrote:

I read the article and saw the shoes (google and you'll find it) and the thing is, I've seen similar designs from MANY designers. QVC has a few that are similar too. If the look is a strappy sandal, how are you going to keep everyone else from featuring a strappy sandal? Be the first in  the season to sell it?

Can a shoe design actually be copyrighted? I know I wait for a less expensive version of a design to come out and in fact, they're all usually out at the same time....can you actually win a case like this? If the designer won, what would that do the market regarding shoes?

Sometimes I think people sue because they can. Or maybe it's because her last name is Trump, who knows but that wouldn't be a smart use of money either, would it?

This makes no sense.  She makes a dress pump I have, but Michael Kors and Bandolino and NIne West make similar ones.  I don't "get" this, but I haven't read the article yet.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

It doesn't because I've seen so many of the same styles all over the place.

Link to story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ivanka-trump-sued-italian-shoe-company-over-heels-n597936

Esteemed Contributor

The shoe styles that this company has stated that are being "copied" are quite popular and many designers have similar styles.  In fact, i have seen Q hosts wearing them and thought that one of the Q vendors brought these styles to the Q.

Since I have never heard of the company that is suing, I am wondering if this is about bringing name recognition to their company and the name Trump is their new marketing plan.  There would not be a discussion if they were suing Michael Kors because people might think that this company was copying his designs.

I certainly hope that this shoe label is not trying to make a statement about our politics.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

The answer is really quite simple.  Her family has money and someone wants a chunk of it.  Isn't that the reason for most lawsuits????

And just how are you supposed to come up with a "new" design for a shoe?  There's pumps, sandals, etc.  Most of them look alike to me, or at least very similar.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the shoes she's been accused of copying is a red heel.  It looks similar to the other designer's, but Donald J. Pliner makes one that looks like it too.  Why isn't D.J. Pliner also sued?  Makes me think this is politically motivated.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if they honestly think they will win a lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

I think SOME might want to drag her name through the mud "just because" now.  You think?

Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt that it's motivated by anything other than an attempt to win a settlement. It's very similar to the Led Zeppelin suit, and unless there are facts that determine otherwise, it will end in the same way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care