Honored Contributor

It's that time of year again

It's time for me to be sad every time I see someone in a pair of boots with their pants tucked in, especially the tall shaft ones.  It happened last night for the Colleen Lopez show on HSN.  There was a lady with a gorgeous pair of suede tall shaft boots with chunky heels and only a side zipper down around the ankle.  I love the look but I can't wear it.  To begin with, my calves are too short so the boot would be cutting into the back of my knee.  But, to add to the problem, I can't get my calves into most boots with nothing on them much less the added bulk of jeans.  And the idea of getting them into a pair of boots without a full-length zipper with or without the jeans is just unthinkable. How do they do that?

I used to be able to buy and wear boots with no problem.  It's not that my legs have gotten bigger.  The shafts have gotten smaller.  

I generally don't care for the wide shaft option because they invariably end up being vase shaped which is not the look I'm going for.  I know it can be done in a wide shaft though.  Last year I got a pair of Marc Fisher wide shaft boots that aren't vase shaped either at QVC or HSN.  I made sure they fit and then gave them to hubby to put under the Christmas tree for me.  They're a lower heel though than the ones I saw last night. Thank you Marc Fisher!!!

Please, more wide shaft boots that aren't vase-shaped.

Just a sad rant.  Carry on.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's that time of year again

@Icegoddess , you are too funny.  It is amazing what things can make your day isn't it?  Hoping  the boot gods hear your prayer!  LM

Valued Contributor

I have similar problems, but recently have been seeing some that have stretchy, thick sock type of material in the back so they will conform to your leg and pants.  They look a little shorter too, which I need as well.  I bought a Lifestride brand pair from Kohl's and I think they might work for me.  They have not arrived yet though.  I'm hopeful :-)

Honored Contributor

I have the opposite problem.  My calves are too thin for tall boots.  I look like I'm standing in a tall wide vase. 

The best I found are those that lace up to the top so they can be tightened, good for wider calves, too, but are a pain to put on.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee I did that to a pair of boots I just had to have.  They only had a small zipper at the top of the shaft, and that is where I have the problem.  I had my shoe guy remove the zipper and put in eyelets.  But, you're right, they're a bit of a pain to tie them, and I wouldn't want to do that to every pair of boots.

Boot Fix.jpg

Honored Contributor

In case anybody is interested, these are the boots I'm lusting over:

https://www.hsn.com/products/sam-edelman-hai-suede-knee-high-boot/9019503

Sam Edelman.  Looks like he makes even smaller shafts since I remember the common shaft measurement last year as being 15".  My mid/upper calf is 15 1/2". 

Sam's is 14 1/2 "

Frequent Contributor

My calves are too “athletic”, I have a hard time too. Shooties or ankle boots are my friend. Tucking into boots also favors tall people, don’t get hung up on something that doesn’t suit you!