Honored Contributor

Is Using a Shoe Stretcher A Good Idea?

[ Edited ]

Or would it be better to take them to a shoe repair?  

This is a boot I purchased in my normal size 6 and I love it.  It's long enough so I don't need a 6.5.  But if you look at the picture where the zipper begins, is where I am having the problem.  I have a high instep (I think that is what you call it) and when I get it zippered about an inch is where it gets difficult to continue over the top of my foot.  Once it gets past there it zips right up.  I was going to purchase a shoe stretcher but I've never used one but I'm afraid I'll ruin the boots.

Have you used one and been successful?  

If you look at where the zipper begins, I can get it started but as soon as I try to zip it over the top of the foot, it's very difficult.  Once I get past that point, it's fine.  Can it be stretched just in that area?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Using a Shoe Stretcher A Good Idea?

@rms1954 

IMy family had the largest fine shoe store here from WW 1 until the early 1980's.  I have seen everything possible being done to shoes.

With leather, I would suggest having a shoe stretcher around.  You never know when a shoe is going to rub your foot or whatever.

Bunions that aren't inherited come from shoes that grip the foot on the sides, like ballet flats, and high heels.  Other bunions come from shoes too tight.

I know I have to really stretch my Fly London for several weeks so the leather doesn't draw up on me.

After you leave it in the position of stretch you want for several days, it will snug up a little because leather/and skin are somewhat elastic.

Regular Contributor

I own a shoe stretcher and it has helped, not a huge amount, but it has stretched tight shoes that I have.  I've never ruined anything.  

Trusted Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Or would it be better to take them to a shoe repair?  

This is a boot I purchased in my normal size 6 and I love it.  It's long enough so I don't need a 6.5.  But if you look at the picture where the zipper begins, is where I am having the problem.  I have a high instep (I think that is what you call it) and when I get it zippered about an inch is where it gets difficult to continue over the top of my foot.  Once it gets past there it zips right up.  I was going to purchase a shoe stretcher but I've never used one but I'm afraid I'll ruin the boots.

Have you used one and been successful? 

I've used stretchers for shoes for years with good results. You might be better off getting a stretcher made for boots.  Check Amazon.

Respected Contributor

When shoes are too tight I put on a really heavy pair of socks with the shoe and walk around my house. Leather stretches, always works.

Esteemed Contributor

My Husband has an old wooden one that he says works. I never used it, I have always  tried on shoes in the store or  if they were tight trying them on at home , I always exchanged for another width or size.  I won't keep any shoe that feels tight  brand new

Honored Contributor

I used to have some shoe stretchers and found them to b e unsatisfactory.  A shoe might temporarily stretch a bit but  then it rebounded and returned to its original size and shape.  Was never able to comfortably wear shoes I stretched.  You're likely to invest time and money in this project and still be unable to comfortably wear your boots.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ECBG Can you stretch it in a certain area?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I used to have some shoe stretchers and found them to b e unsatisfactory.  A shoe might temporarily stretch a bit but  then it rebounded and returned to its original size and shape.  Was never able to comfortably wear shoes I stretched.  You're likely to invest time and money in this project and still be unable to comfortably wear your boots.

@Kachina624 

Sounds like you didn't tork the stretcher tightly enough. 

Valued Contributor

@rms1954  Spray some rubbing alcohol on the place you want to stretch and walk around in the boots.  Repeat until you get the desired stretch.  Works for me.  Someone on another thread mentioned it and it does help.