Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Dooney patent leather really leather??

On 2/8/2014 JJ said:

I have had the same experience on a patent leather bag I got from Dooney {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Sorry to hear that, JJ, but I'm not surprised. I don't know what coating Dooney is putting on their "patent" bags, but whatever it is, the quality isn't there. When my fuchsia Dooney flaked and peeled, the color came off with the coating and left a white fabric looking backing that showed. If there was actual leather under that coating, it was paper thin. I would really like a pretty patent bag, but I won't be purchasing one from Dooney until they get their coating right.

Evidently, they're still having problems with their patent bags peeling after just a few uses. Look at the recent reviews for this Dooney patent leather bag - A220198.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/9/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

Dooney makes patent LEATHER handbags, they also make patent handbags that are not leather. If the description says patent leather, then it's from the leather collection. That said, patent leather is fragile. The finish can be easily damaged by scratching or chemicals. And unlike other leathers, the damage can't be hidden.

Many other manufacturers make handbags labeled patent. Assume these are not leather unless they specifically say leather. The word patent is used to describe the finish, not the underlying material. Some are leather, most are not.

Years ago, a QVC host (I think it was Lisa) mentioned that a true patent leather handbag costs well over $1,000, and described the process of how genuine patent leather was made. She said something about a long process of layers of oil rubbed into the surface of the leather making it shiny - a time consuming and expensive process. I assume that type of patent leather wouldn't peel like the plastic coated leather does.

Respected Contributor

Yes it's leather
Frequent Contributor

On 2/9/2014 LisaB said: Yes it's leather

Do you happen to know the thickness of the leather used? From what I saw with my own bag, and from what I've read by others whose bags flaked and peeled, it appears to be a paper thin leaf of leather that is fused to a heavy fabric that gives it shape, then coated with some type of glossy vinyl (peels terribly). It doesn't appear to be a substantial piece of leather that is coated with vinyl.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 Dee in OK said:
On 2/9/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

Dooney makes patent LEATHER handbags, they also make patent handbags that are not leather. If the description says patent leather, then it's from the leather collection. That said, patent leather is fragile. The finish can be easily damaged by scratching or chemicals. And unlike other leathers, the damage can't be hidden.

Many other manufacturers make handbags labeled patent. Assume these are not leather unless they specifically say leather. The word patent is used to describe the finish, not the underlying material. Some are leather, most are not.

Years ago, a QVC host (I think it was Lisa) mentioned that a true patent leather handbag costs well over $1,000, and described the process of how genuine patent leather was made. She said something about a long process of layers of oil rubbed into the surface of the leather making it shiny - a time consuming and expensive process. I assume that type of patent leather wouldn't peel like the plastic coated leather does.

Her description is very outdated. Here's a short history of the process (from the wisegeek site):

Sporting a high gloss finish, patent leather has long been established as leather that is considered uptown and formal. This form of leather owes its invention to Seth Boyden of Newark, New Jersey. During the year 1818, Boyden began to investigate the possibility of creating a version of leather that was treated in such a way that the material retained its protective qualities and durability, but also had an appearance that would be decidedly more dressy than work boots and similar leather goods.

Using a formula that was based on a series of treatments using layers of linseed oil-based coats, the new shiny leather began commercial production on 20 September 1819. Boyden’s efforts resulted in the production of glossy leather that quickly caught on the perfect compliment for formal dress. Almost two centuries later, patent leather still maintains the status of being part of a formal look for men and women alike.

Patent leather begins life as a superior grade of fine grain leather that undergoes a process to give it it's glossy look. Originally, this was accomplished by applying layers of a linseed oil finish to the leather, gradually creating the sleek appearance. As time went on, the invention of plastics changed the way this leather is produced.

Plastic finishes were able to produce effects similar to the application of several treatments with linseed oil, with the advantage of considerably less expense on the part of the producer. Over time, the development of synthetic resins further simplified the process and cut production costs even further, making the mass production possible.

Characterized by a glass-like finish that catches the light, the typical patent leather accessory is a solid black. In addition to the mirror like finish, it is also virtually waterproof, while still retaining a very flexible texture. The visual elements of this leather have made it a sought after material for all sorts of formal accessories. Just about all men’s footwear produced to be worn with tuxedos is made of patent leather, as are many formal types of heels for women. Clutches and small handbags for women are also made using this material, as are some formal wallets and cigarette cases. It is nearly always considered an integral part of formal wear.

With almost two centuries of history, patent leather is one type of material that seems to keep going no matter what current fashion trends dictate. It seems that as long as there is a need to dress up for an occasion, this material will be found in closets and tuxedo shops across the country.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Patent leather is real leather, especially dooney. check out their website for their non leather materials, they have several, and are up front about it.

Respected Contributor

I have around 10 Dooney patent leather bags and they still look brand new. Different styles and different colors. No peeling or flaking.

Occasional Contributor

It really is leather. In fact, I was watching a presentation recently where they explained that it has to be superior leather in order to do the patent leather process.

I purchased last spring's TSV in the patent satchel in navy and it still looks like new. I love the patent Dooney's, they are very different than anything else and lighter in weight.

Honored Contributor

In a nutshell, with Dooney, if it says patent leather it's leather if it says patent, it's probably not...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 2/16/2014 justmehereinPA said:

It really is leather. In fact, I was watching a presentation recently where they explained that it has to be superior leather in order to do the patent leather process.

I purchased last spring's TSV in the patent satchel in navy and it still looks like new. I love the patent Dooney's, they are very different than anything else and lighter in weight.

I got that same TSV in the Pink, Blue and Orange and I love them all. So beautiful!!! i want the navy you have too. They are like m&ms I can't just have one.