Honored Contributor

Re: I ordered my first pair of Birkenstock’s......

I have probably a dozen pairs of Birkenstocks.  In fact, I'm wearing a pair right now.  I got most of mine from QVC years ago and they're still going strong.

I do think you need to heed the advice of starting slowly with them.  Don't try wearing them all day the first time; better to do a couple of hours around the house and build up.  

The good thing, if you have a favorite pair that the soles are starting to wear out on, you can get them repaired.

I have a lot of other brands of shoes and sandals, but the Birkis are my go-to ones most of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I love all my Birkies/Birkenstocks/Betulas. I have around 30 pairs -- clogs, mary janes, sandals. All different colors, some flowery designs, suede, leather, faux leather. I have the hard & soft in-soles. I actually like the way they look!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Birkenstocks are the best!  I have at least a dozen pairs and I love them all!❤️

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan - I've been wearing them since I was in my 20's. That's how I  "found" QVC, We moved, and I couldn't find a store around here that carried any except the basic styles. I love them. I have soft footbed, platform,  and waterproof styles. When I come in the door from work, they immediately go on my feet. I have my "house Birks," that never go outside. 

My very first pair was a men's Arizona. I still have them (but I don't wear them - too many other styles)! 

Some Birkenstock salespeaple will tell you when you get them, put them on for the first time when you get out of the shower and your feet are warm. The shoe will mold to your foot better. I used to do this, but I don't any more.

Also, remember that Birkenstock sizing can be confusing. A European Narrow (foot on inside is colored in) is the same as an American Narrow/Average (size A or B).  (I wear a 9 1/2 B in American sizing, so I get the 40 Narrow. A European Regular (foot on inside is an outline) is more like an American wide (size C or D). 

Have fun choosing a pair, and I hope you like them! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Another Birkenstock fan. From the number of boxes in my closet, I probably have close to 50 pair of sandals and toe-loop styles by Birkenstock. When we were engaged, I visited my fiance' who was stationed in Germany (1968). Upon my arrival, he gave me my first pair of Birkenstock's (Arizona sandals in taupe). The original footbed is still the only one I'll wear and I've been wearing various styles ever since. Wore heels to work for decades. So nice to no longer work and be able to live in a different pair (or more) of Birk's each day! I prefer the leather or suede; not a fan of the plastic feeling stuff, but bought some of them at lower prices. The old, "You get what you pay for" is true with Birkenstocks, as well.

Hope you enjoy the comfort as much as many of us do! Even your physician will be pleased. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom  ALL Birkenstock's are made in Europe. They all have the European sizing. What are you talking about a European width vs. an American width? That is not true! 

I've purchased Birkenstocks in Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, and all across the USA. I always buy a medium width.

I've seen the narrow width for sale on HSN and won't touch their Birkenstock shoes. They are narrows; thus the lower prices. They are made in Germany on the same lasts as all Birkenstocks, but they use Birki-Flor, Birki-Buck or other uppers rather than the leather or suede which Birkenstock is famous for in their classic (and most comfortable) footwear. 

Please don't mislead others with misinformation unless you have proof.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady - I'm sorry you think I'm misleading others. You're lucky to have been able to buy them all over the world. The only place I've bought mine is official Birkenstock retailers and QVC. ALL of mine have been made in Germany. I wouldn't buy any that weren't.

I have many, many pairs, and this size chart has worked for me. It is on the official Birkenstock website. I still believe a European version narrow is equal to an American version of average, because that is what works for me. My foot is certainly not narrow (B), but not wide (C/D) either. I always considered my foot medium or average. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have many pairs of them, all that are quite a few years old, & always found them to be very comfortable (& they wear like iron!). 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady @beach-mom - Birkenstock's own website does, in fact, give the fitting chart, along with narrow or regular width.

Here's the link:

Size Chart

Esteemed Contributor

@VeneziaI'm very much aware of Birk's narrow and wide widths since I've worn them since 1968. Thanks for your comment. Woman Very Happy

However, the other poster was attempting to tell someone there was a difference in European and American widths. Not true.  All shoes are made in Germany, on the same lasts and for all feet anywhere in the world. Order your normal size where ever you live. Good grief. 

Her post was so confusing for a newbie buying her first pair of Birkenstocks.