Esteemed Contributor

Re: I ordered my first pair of Birkenstock’s......

[ Edited ]

Today I'm wearing my 3-strap Birki's Black Patent Leather Sandals - made in Germany. I wear 6-1/2 C width - and these are size 37 with the footprint filled in - so I guess it's Narrow. I have many pairs of Birki's/Birkenstocks - some are Narrow and some are Regular. So - Yes - it is confusing!!!!!!!!!! In American sizing - I have NEVER worn a narrow.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@VeneziaI'm very much aware of Birk's narrow and wide widths since I've worn them since 1968. Thanks for your comment. Woman Very Happy

However, the other poster was attempting to tell someone there was a difference in European and American widths. 

To be fair the site says this, so it does seem they (Birkenstock) are making that statement:

Note: Birkenstock Footwear is made in European sizes

regular

narrow

Woman's Widths

Regular:
American width equivalent C-D

Regular:
American width equivalent D-EE

Narrow:
American width equivalent A-B

Narrow:
American width equivalent B-C

----------------

However, not to confuse anyone further or to derail the original intent of the thread, I'll leave it at that.  All of us who love Birks have a pretty good idea of where they're made and the sizing that's right for us.

Have a great day and continue to enjoy wearing your Birks!

Respected Contributor

Best shoes ever!  Love the support.  Great for my feet and my back.  HSN is starting to carry some of the old styles and some new patterns. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and info. I’m really excited to try them. I ordered mine from Urban Outfitters and they have a great return policy. If they aren’t the right fit and size , I know I can exchange them. Again, thank you all! 😁

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan 

What I do, per the rep's suggestion, is to towel off after a shower and pop them on while my feet are still warm from the water.  It helps them mold more quickly to my feet.  Sometimes I apply Surgeon's Skin Secret to the bottoms of my heels as well while I am breaking them in.  I don't know if yours are the traditional or the soft footbed.  

Respected Contributor

Last spring I donated about 40 pairs of Birkenstocks (various colors, prints, style) mostly purchased from QVC, 15-20 years ago.  Some were never worn.  QVC had a different size chart.  I wore a solid 6 medium.  On QVC that was a 36.  Any other place, a 6 was a 37 and much too big and wide for me.  You need to look at the footbed to determine the width. QVC's tended to be "narrow", although they fit like a medium width.  Non QVC Birkenstock, aka the ones sold universally, come in a variety of widths.

Keep in mind, the Birkies sold on QVC were manufactured just for QVC, hence the price points.

Respected Contributor

@lulu1  I bought mine from Urban Outfitters and I checked their return policy before I bought them. It’s a great policy if I need to return or exchange. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 

Valued Contributor

I hope you enjoy them!

Contributor

Love my Birkenstock’s! Just bought a new pair while I was on vacation. I know they are pricey but for comfort and support, for my feet, I think they are worth it since I’m always on my feet with my teaching.
Honored Contributor

I've been wearing Birkenstock since 1979 and still wear them on occasion. I have not bought any since the Q stopped selling them and I still have 3 pair of sandals and 2 pair of clogs that are like new. Since I'm older I do prefer the soft foot bed though.