Honored Contributor

Re: I just ordered a D&B florentine bag on *clearance*...

Thanks everyone for your kind posts! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Stevieb, ITA about the price issue...just glad I didn't get it for retail and I did get at least some savings...

ilovedaisies, what a neat way of putting it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:

I need some expert input please...

I got my bag in navy and I'm scratching my head...

I have 2 florentine bags already I got last year. The leather is soft and smooth (the east/west zip top sac in black and chestnut).

This navy bag I got according to the QVC product title states that it's a "florentine" handbag. However, the leather could not be any rougher...rougher than any other D&B pebble leather bag I own...WT???

And I am a bit miffed by the tan underside of the strap. To me, it cheapens the bag...like one would buy at a discount box store ie Wally World, Target, etc. Remember, I got the navy and it already has dark brown T-moro stitching with a red zipper. The strap just doesn't look right.

I went through all my D&B leather bags and not one strap has a dual color strap...

I'll keep the bag because it is nicely organized, however, I am disappointed...

Respected Contributor

SL: I have several Dooney handbags where the underside of the strap is a lighter color. I think it's a design choice, like the red zippers. It's not my preference, but it's not a deal breaker for me. As for the leather, Florentine leather can vary greatly from item to item, even the same style and the same color. My only advice is that if it's going to bother you, return the handbag. If you can over look it, then enjoy your new handbag.

Honored Contributor

On 4/5/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

SL: I have several Dooney handbags where the underside of the strap is a lighter color. I think it's a design choice, like the red zippers. It's not my preference, but it's not a deal breaker for me. As for the leather, Florentine leather can vary greatly from item to item, even the same style and the same color. My only advice is that if it's going to bother you, return the handbag. If you can over look it, then enjoy your new handbag.

Hi Lavenderjunkie,

TY for posting Smile

I appreciate knowing that other handbags also have the underside of the strap lighter. I really did think it was odd. I wouldn't have noticed it on a natural color handbag, but I guess it really stood out with the navy. I would have thought they would match it back to the t-moro stitched trim if the strap was going to be dual colored. I didn't mind the red zipper.

Since I was expecting a smoother textured handbag, the bag seemed to fall into the "pebbled leather" category..

So I guess I am still confused at what is florentine leather and what is not...

I put the navy bag next to my cranberry "pebble" lexington shopper and to me the new navy bag is what I would consider more "pebbled"...lol...oh well.

Thanks again for helping...I will keep the bag Smile

Respected Contributor

SL: I was watching some of the Dooney shows yesterday and saw lighter colored undersides on straps on several, including a Florentine satchel with longer handles to wear over the shoulder.

Regarding the texture of the leather, what they have said its that it depends upon the specific piece of leather.... could be smooth or pebbled. Really depends upon what part of the animal it comes from. The Florentine leather refers to a process for tanning the leather and the fact that it is done in Florence, Italy.

I have several E/W Pocket Florentine handbags. The leather on all of them is different. And when I bought my red one there were 2 in the Dooney boutique. One was very smooth and matte finish the other very pebbled. I thought... of course I want the smooth one. But when I looked at them carefully, I saw the smooth one was very marked and scratched while the very pebbled one was in perfect condition and had more of a glow to the leather. I chose the pebbled one and I'm not sorry. It shows much less wear then a smooth one I have in another color (blue). I know it's a choice and a personal preference....smooth or pebbled. And my pebbled Florentine is very, very, very pebbled. Aesthetically I would have liked the look of the smooth, but the pebbled one is also beautiful and looks like new after many wearings.

What ever you decide, you need to be comfortable with the choice. If the leather is going to bug you, then it's not worth the money.

Honored Contributor

Hi LJ,

Bless your heart for the wonderful job explaining differences between the florentine bags you saw in the store and the process of choosing and why...how the smoother ones show markings more...GREAT info!

All of my D&B bags I got from shopping online...never in a store so I have never been able to compare 2 of the same bags to see the differences. I knew there are differences between bags, but I didn't know by how much...since I'm only able to judge by pics and video presentations or watching the Q shows.

I definitely feel better about keeping my navy bag now thanks to you! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

It really bothers me that Dooney doesn't finish the underside of their straps. They are not only not dyed, they are rough and unfinished. Oddly enough, when you buy black, the strap is dyed and finished on the underside. That is why I only kept one of the satchels I bought...the black one.
On 4/5/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

Respected Contributor

I agree - the pebbled Florentine is definitely tougher, more durable. I have a pocket satchel in crimson, bought it in person at a dept. store because it called to me and I thought it the most beautiful bag ever, and I had 20% off that day! Couldn't resist. It is the smooth Florentine.

I was a bit hesitant but after 9 months of daily use it looks better than when it was new. I am not extra special careful with my bag but I do realize fingernails can scrape it, keys, etc. so am aware at least. I have a few minor scratches that did rub right out as they were only on the surface. The leather is softer, has more glow/gleam than it did when new, and is very supple and luxurious. Everything they say about it has proven true for me. People have stopped me to compliment this bag.

Enjoy that bag, it's gorgeous, one of my favorite styles.

Contributor

I have 3 Florentine leather D&B bags. My large crimson satchel has the two-toned strap you mention, with the underside being natural. It is also the most textured of the three. My other two are Stanwich satchels, and their long straps are t-Moro brown on both sides. While I prefer the single color straps, I don't really notice it anymore when I carry the big Flo.
Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Susan Louise said:

Hi LJ,

Bless your heart for the wonderful job explaining differences between the florentine bags you saw in the store and the process of choosing and why...how the smoother ones show markings more...GREAT info!

All of my D&B bags I got from shopping online...never in a store so I have never been able to compare 2 of the same bags to see the differences. I knew there are differences between bags, but I didn't know by how much...since I'm only able to judge by pics and video presentations or watching the Q shows.

I definitely feel better about keeping my navy bag now thanks to you! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

SL: enjoy your new handbag. I too was surprised by what I saw in the Dooney store. I had thought the leather might vary by style, or even by color. But I never thought the same exact color in the same style would have such different leathers. But it turned out to be a good thing, not a bad thing.