Honored Contributor

Re: How much did you pay to size your ring?

I paid $17 to make a ring 1 size smaller this week.

It usually costs me $35 to make a ring larger.

Do you use an independent jeweler or a chain? Find a good, local independent and you'll find better quality work and better prices.

Esteemed Contributor

I've only had two rings sized, and there was no charge. . .maybe because I used a jeweler my family has used for six generations and they know me.
Respected Contributor

It used to be when you purchased a ring from a jeweler, you got one size up free. Sizing down was no charge because no gold or silver was added. Now with the price of gold to size up one size is ridiculous. You pay a lot for a ring and then get hit with the size fee.

If I decide to purchase a ring now I ask first about the sizing and if they are going to charge I say no thanks. One store lost a $2000.00 sale from me because they were going to charge $100.00 to size.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

Any sizing I've had done at a jeweler where I bought the ring has been free. But since I now buy at shopping channels and auctions, I get charged. Its about 35.00 to take a ring down one size. I have a beautiful platinum estate diamond ring for which they charged me 85.00 to go up one half size. But that's a once in a lifetime purchase, most of my rings are silver or 14K. If the jeweler can't guarantee a "round" ring going down three sizes, find one who can. Be very cautious going down if you have many gemstones, its easy to loosen the prongs and months later you will be losing stones.

Honored Contributor

There is an independent very nice local jewelry shop here. They have a laser welder which means they can size ring without heating the metal. This is great for sizing rings with turquoise, pearls or opal which can be destroyed by heat. I'm sure this device is expensive. They start at about $40, for a small silver ring and go up depending on the width and thickness of the shank.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

If you have a diamond ring be careful where you take it. I had a friend who sold diamonds and she said to be careful because some jewelry places will take off your diamond and put a different one. I take my cheaper jewelry to my local shop and I pay 5 to 10 dollars and my diamond ring I take to Ben Bridge which is pretty pricey for me. But my friend said that was a very reputable place.

Respected Contributor

$62.00 where I live!