Trusted Contributor

Re: How many various shoes a woman needs

You are my heroes, OK Princess and Kachina!  I ve retired and am actively replacing my heels with wedges, flats and kitten heels.  Hard for me to give up for the look but not for comfort.  Appreciate both of your inputs on the forums.

Honored Contributor

I've always been a shoe lover and they were my favorite fashion item to buy.  For several years now due to issues with ankle, cannot wear anything but sneakers.  Yuck --- I HATE IT!  I must have 200 pairs of shoes and some are brand new.  I keep holding on to them hoping and praying that some day I will be able to wear them again.  But yes, it's true, even if you are not particularly a shoe lover, as a woman, you do need quite a few pairs of shoes to cover fashion needs. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Since my maiden and married names are very German, I guess the love of Finn and Birkenstock footwear comes naturally! My first pair of Birkenstock's were a gift from my then fiance' who was stationed in Germany. I flew to Germany, he gave me the sandals and we toured Germany (this was when the Berlin wall was still intact), then drove his VW to Spain and back. I returned home. He was discharged (honorably) in December 1968 and we were married in March 1969. Other than heels every day of my working life, I've been wearing Birk's ever since. So did he when not wearing dress shoes! (Overland simply makes really, really nice leathergoods! Keep looking. Their items change frequently.) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm definitely in the minority on this thread! The last pair of "shoes" I bought was a year ago in July or August - a pair of flip flops from Walgreen's! And no - I'm not cheap and I'm not cash-strapped! Lol! Since I retired, I just don't have the need for a lot of shoes and even if I did, I have limited closets and storage. My needs are 1 pair of gray mule sneakers, 1 pair of black tall boots, 1 pair of black ankle boots, 1 pair of gray snow/cold weather boots, 1 pair of black flats, 1 pair of "rubber" shoes for rainy weather, and 6 pair of assorted color sandals/flip flops. I keep a pair of black strappy heels just in case I need them (which is seldom). And I couldn't get through the week without 2 pair of comfy slippers! I got rid of a ton of dressy shoes after I retired - it's the simple life now!

Honored Contributor

I definitely have more shoes than I need, especially since I am not working right now. I love having the perfect shoe for each outfit, but since most of my outfits are super casual right now I find I am wearing the same few pairs. I am trying not to buy any new pairs as I have plenty to choose from each day.

Honored Contributor

Last weekend I swapped out my winter shoes and boots for the summer footwear.

I really do NEED them all!   I like colorful shoes and sandals for the summer.  

Respected Contributor

2 weeks ago, we moved into a new house. Ok, i knew i had alot of shoes, but......

i really had no idea, until i started packing them up, since they were organized so well. 

loading them in the new house, i got some flack about the number of BIG cartons i had, labeled "shoes"

I believe i had 6 big boxes of them. 

I still havent unloaded them all. I'm trying to make do for now, with about 20 or so pairs. 

What can i say, i like to match just right. 

Honored Contributor

One more than she already has.
Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I have a lot of shoes in many colors as I NeeD shoes to match/coordinate with what I am wearing.  I have a life-long love of shoes.  Can't wear high heels anymore either and also feel unstable in slides,  but I sure miss them.  I do still wear low heel 1-3/4" pumps to work  have sandals, loafers and flats.  I just cleaned out 23 pair of shoes I can no longer wear and I still have way too many left, but I love them.  Next purging go round, I will be able to give up more.

I could have written this post!  I have most colors available and have always loved shoes.  At my advanced age, I am also trying to wear the lower heels and wedge heels.  I also just donated some shoes that I felt had heels that weren't safe for me now.  I always try to match shoes to my outfit.    When I got to dept. stores and see the 4" (or more) heels, I wish I could wear them and had some place to wear them.  Grateful for what I have and I really enjoy the "too many" shoes I have.  I am also going to do more purging soon.

New Contributor

I had the exact same problem when I moved 10 yrs ago. My husbands cousin made a comment about having never seen so many shoes before. I respectfully ignored him as I directed him to more boxes to load onto the truck. My husband laughed as he already knew that was an area not to venture into. Years later he now has more shoes than I do. He's retired and matches his shoes to his outfits.