Honored Contributor

Re: How long does a good quality pair of shoes last for you?

I never wear the same shoes two days in a row.  I have lots of shoes that I've had for a very long time.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what is meant by "good quality."  I rarely pay more than $50 for a pair and they last me several years.

Honored Contributor

If I buy leather and wear them to work 4 days a week, I will throw them out a. 1 1/2-2 yrs.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

For me, years.  I have lots and lots of quality shoes where I can say not one of them gets worn but maybe a couple times a months, if that.  Some have no wear at all.

@rms1954 It's embarrassing how many pair of shoes and boots I own...collected over the years. Like you, I always wear various ones, have them stuffed with newspaper to keep their shape and they last, I guess forever. I spray twice any that are suede before wearing and if shoes/boots do get wet, they get stuffed with newspaper to keep their shape until they dry. Then fresh newspaper goes in before shelved. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I'm not embarrassed one bit.  I've been told I own too many, I have an addiction, I should not waste money on so many shoes, etc. etc.  It's me and I appreciate quality footwear.  It can make or break an outfit.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Shanus I'm not embarrassed one bit.  I've been told I own too many, I have an addiction, I should not waste money on so many shoes, etc. etc.  It's me and I appreciate quality footwear.  It can make or break an outfit.

@rms1954 ...especially my outfits which are usually rather plain and neutral. Nothing like a red or leopard shoe to make a statement. There are worse addictions! LOL

Honored Contributor

Years and years for me. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have read that running shoes need to be replaced every six months with daily wear. I find my expensive orthopedic shoes start to hurt my poor feet at about six months of daily wear. Sometimes I can replace the insole and keep wearing. The outer leather is almost never damaged before the insole and sole get squashed down.  I have extreme foot arthritis so when the insole goes south, I know. Now my husband wears his shoes for many years and they are all beat up but his feet never hurt. I guess we all have some burden in life. 

Respected Contributor

My favorite pair of shoes are my birkenstocks.  I wear them about 95% of the time.  I have a pair which I wear just in the house everyday.  My birkenstocks last me years.  My oldest pair is at least 6 years old.

Honored Contributor

Since my first knee replacement in 2012, I rarely keep shoes more than 2 years.  

As soon as I experience pain in either knee or hip while wearing shoes more than a year old, I know it's time to buy a pair of shoes.  I have been sticking to Alegria, Brooks, Nike, Naturalizer, New Balance.