Honored Contributor

How do you "break in" shoes?

I have a pair of sneakers that I really like.  It's very cute.  But the sides of the sneakers are not padded.  They're hard. One one foot (my right) I can't wear it with it rubbing one side of foot near the ankle.  I end up with blisters.  The one of my left is near perfect.  I don't want to get rid of them, because they are so cute.  I have only worn them 2 times. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you "break in" shoes?

@songbird wrote:

I have a pair of sneakers that I really like.  It's very cute.  But the sides of the sneakers are not padded.  They're hard. One one foot (my right) I can't wear it with it rubbing one side of foot near the ankle.  I end up with blisters.  The one of my left is near perfect.  I don't want to get rid of them, because they are so cute.  I have only worn them 2 times. 

if they don't fit and are comfortable when u initially try on, they never will 

return 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird  For me comfortable far outweighs "cute."  I'd return asap!

Esteemed Contributor

Could try wearing socks, thick ones, for a bit until the shoe conforms better.

Also a good thing to remember in the future.  One of my feet is a little wonky and I always try on that side on first.

Super Contributor

You should never have to "break in" a shoe.  If it hurts when wearing, either the shoe doesn't fit or it is not the right shoe for your foot.

Respected Contributor

@songbird  I try to wear shoes at home before I go out in them to see how they will do.  Most of my more expensive shoes don't need "breaking in" and I can tell that when I buy them.  

If you can't return them, I would put some moleskin on the areas of the shoe that rub and see if that helps.  Or one of the gel stick on pads may solve the problem.   I try to wear shoes soon after purchase since I find I won't get enough wear from those that aren't comfortable.  I had a pair of hiking boots that I always had to put moleskin on sevral areas of my feet to keep from getting blisters.  It was a pain to do but kept me from hurting during a hike. Otherwise, those boots were perfect for my needs.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

One one foot (my right) I can't wear it with it rubbing one side of foot near the ankle.  I end up with blisters.  

I don't want to get rid of them, because they are so cute. 

@songbird   Then invest in padded bandages to wear over the blisters.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird.  You ankle is probably pronating some (turning in) and there really isn't much you can do.  The style just isn't for you.  I had a pair of sneakers like that, also cute, and I donated them after several tries of wearing them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get some moleskin at CVS or Wal-Mart and cut a piece to go over the area of your ankle where the rubbing is occurring. Don't put it into the shoe as it likely won't stick in place for long. You need to put it on your skin. Walk around in your shoes in the house or even out and about if the moleskin doesn't show. I did this on my right ankle, where a newish hiking boot would always rub. It never bothered me again, and once the shoe was thoroughly broken in, I could stop wearing the moleskin.

Respected Contributor

For me if you have to break a shoe in then it's not the right shoe for me. I have learned that over the years buying shoes that were simply not comfortable right away. Many a pair have been donated.