Occasional Contributor

When I'm shopping for shoes at a "brick & mortar"/physical store, I pick up the shoe and point the toe up or away from me.

I noticed that QVC showing and picturing shoes with the toes pointing down or toward me/us.

For me, this is hard to visualize the shoe on my foot.  What do you think?

Just curious.

TIA

janis

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you look at shoes?

I get your point, but that is why they have the model wearing the shoe.  So you can visualize it on your foot, 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Online or on TV or catalog ...

I need to see it from several angles ... most importantly with the toe pointing away from me.  (I absolutely cannot stand round bubble toes or peep toes.)

I need to see the shoe from the side.  Must see the slope from heel to toe.

In the store, I generally pick it up and look at it from all angles before bothering to try it on.

I'm fussy about shoes .... when I find something I like, I buy several pairs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Must look at them from all angles.  I have a narrow foot with a very narrow heel.  Shoes are modeled and photographed in medium, so I can usually tell by looking at them on a photo or on the model's foot if they run narrow. 

Also, if the shoe looks like it was made on an Italian last or form, there's more of a chance they will fit.  IMO, Italians are the only ones with the knack, the know-how,  to make comfortable, well-fitting shoes for a narrow foot. I have a few made in Spain and France that are good, but Italians are best.

Have had difficulty finding shoes in narrow that fit well except in high end department and shoe stores  QVC carries a few styles in narrow, but the backs are too wide, my heels slip out of them, and the styles are just not me. 

Esteemed Contributor

In order to take advantage of choices,I now order my shoes online. I have discovered that Beautifeel, Pikolinos, Arche, and Munro fit me best. I never have to return anything if I stick to those brands. So, I choose what I want knowing that style and comfort can go together and now I’m no longer disappointed. I get good prices too.

Respected Contributor

I look at the shoe from every angle and feel the mat    erial to be sure it's not stiff.  

But for me one of the most important issues is how flexible the shoe is - will it bend or is it a stiff, inflexible sole.  And is the sole slick and easy to slide.  If it is stiff or slick I put it back on the rack.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The quality of the leather. Next I check out the interior of the shoe. I want leather inside and out so my feet breathe. And I need great arch support inside the shoe. Then, I check out the soles. In the past, I wore only leather soled footwear when working and wearing heels. Now, I'm in Birkenstocks or Finn's much of the time!

Footwear should never be purchased based on sale prices; your feet are too important to your overall health. Keep your feet healthy and your entire body will thank you. Have your shoes/sandals professionally fitted.  Buy the best you are able to afford. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I look at the toe first because I hate a very pointed toe.  I prefer a more boxy toe.

Honored Contributor

I also want to see the shoe from the side to see the height of the heel.  Models pointing their toes are a waste of time for me.

Respected Contributor

I usually turn it over first to look at the price. 

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy