Respected Contributor

How To Treat Suede Boots Against Water/Snow?

Can anyone tell me how best to do this?  I do have a spray can that I have used in the past on some older boots BUT it didn't seem to work.  How close do you spray....and do you do it several times to get it to work??

any help is appreciated!!

Respected Contributor

Re: How To Treat Suede Boots Against Water/Snow?

I am not shy about applying this spray.  I really saturate the suede; it darkens up (temporarily) because it is so wet.  Even so, I do reapply every year or so.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

That spray is about the best you can do with an occasional brushing with a suede brush. I found that smooth leather does best in the north with all the snow, ice, salt, slush. DH kept my boots in good shape then. Down here it's not so much of a problem.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite I have always used the sprays, they’re best and easiest.  I usually give everything 2 coats (let dry 24 hrs in between) at the beginning of each fall/winter season. I live in WI and the snow, slush, salt, ect is brutal on suede.  Because of this, on really messy days I just won’t wear my suede boots/shoes. I wear smooth leather or some other shoes I keep around for those kind of days that really don’t mind if they get messy. (I am just not someone who bothers with wearing winter boots and then changes shoes when I get to work, etc.)

Honored Contributor

I always use 3M suede spray which I think is the best.  If I lived where there are really wet, nasty conditions, I wouldn't wear suede.  I spray every year with 2 coats.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone....I think my problem is I was too timid about really spraying the boots!  I know that sounds weird but I keep thinking am I gonna wreck them doing it more heavy or 2 coats? So now I know better....use it well one coat...then dry for 24hrs....spray again!  

Will do this today....we are having really awesome dry warmish weather for Nov here...but like many of you said on the really wet slushy snowy days I don't plan on wearing these out doors either.

Honored Contributor

I use Kiwi Camp dry or Kiwi suede protector.  Kiwi camp dry has never discolored or ruined any of my suede.  Of course, with Michigan winters comes alot of salt for the roads so I am cautious when it comes to salt.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Can anyone tell me how best to do this?  I do have a spray can that I have used in the past on some older boots BUT it didn't seem to work.  How close do you spray....and do you do it several times to get it to work??

any help is appreciated!!

@tsavorite     You want to spray well especially around the place where the soul of the shoe meets the top portion... cover completely... let dry and do it again( so two coverings).

You do not need to be real close.  Just close enought to get a nice spray all over all parts of the shoe without saturating it.  I  find this will work for the winter for me.  It really depends on how often you are using the shoe and how wet it is when you are wearing them..

I just respray every fall.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I always use 3M suede spray which I think is the best.  If I lived where there are really wet, nasty conditions, I wouldn't wear suede.  I spray every year with 2 coats.

@Kachina624,3 M has awesome products and has never cheapened themselves as far as I know.  DH worked for them right out of college and his degree is in Physics.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Kachina624  I spray several times as well, waiting a day or 2 between to allow to dry. Most importantly...use in a well ventilated room!