Hosts need a healthy reminder that they are demonstrating for a viewing audience who can not physically see or touch an item before purchase.  To that point when demonstrating different colors, hosts shoud keep their hands and arms OFF the product and let the camera show the color. Covering shoes, for example, with the hosts hand does not allow the audience to see the color shades. Like wise putting black clothing, tights, shoes on models to demonstrate an item is ridiculous.  The camera can not pick up detail on black items.  It is a waste of time and insult to viewers to continue this practice.  Behind the scenes stylists are in painful need of training on how to show products to their best advantage.

Honored Contributor

Re: Host attention to detail

There is a male host who is color blind.  If his "card" is not handy and/or the items are not situated in the right way (a color has been removed), he says the wrong color(s) & the vendor has to correct him.

I think, this host should never give out the colors.  Let the vendors do it.

I must admit that this male host usually mentions that he is color blind prior to presenting colors & apologizes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

To deb31: Yes! You are so right!

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

There is a male host who is color blind.  If his "card" is not handy and/or the items are not situated in the right way (a color has been removed), he says the wrong color(s) & the vendor has to correct him.

I think, this host should never give out the colors.  Let the vendors do it.

I must admit that this male host usually mentions that he is color blind prior to presenting colors & apologizes.

Well, color blindness is not uncommon.  At least the host admits it, and I'm sure most viewers really don't mind.  It doesn't bother me at all, and I can't imagine what a frustrating thing it must be to be color blind.  The vendor usually sets it right anyway.

As for featuring apparel items in black as another poster mentioned, I have no idea why this continues.  Last week, a host dressed in black from head to toe put on the presented jacket in black.  Huh??  I couldn't see a thing!  Even if you have an ultra-hi-def television, the item's details are not visible.  If the other colors were not in the host's size, most hosts don't try on the correct size anyway.  Instead, hanging a lighter color up front makes the details easier to see.  It shouldn't be brain surgery; it's just common sense and should be standard operating procedure when showcasing clothing and shoes.

Honored Contributor

When they have the garments on the rack showing colors then details, they seem to always put a light colored piece in the front.  I've never seem them attempt to show detail on black.  They seem to be very conscious of this so I don't think it's a problem at all.

About 2 weeks ago I bought a Bob Mackie top which said it was a knit.  What kind of Knit?  Poly knit slinky material or sweater Knit?  Didn't say.  Saw it presented during his recent appearance but still nobody mentioned the fabric and you couldn't tell by looking at it.  Finally it arrived at my door and I was able to determine it's a fine gage sweater knit, which is what I wanted.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Now that it's fall, many of the colors presented are dark-- black, gray, navy.   So you can't see the detail.   But I agree, it's not the old QVC when hosts really worked hard to describe items in terms we can understand instead of "You will love this color!"   Not helpful.   

@deb31 wrote:

Hosts need a healthy reminder that they are demonstrating for a viewing audience who can not physically see or touch an item before purchase.  To that point when demonstrating different colors, hosts shoud keep their hands and arms OFF the product and let the camera show the color. Covering shoes, for example, with the hosts hand does not allow the audience to see the color shades. Like wise putting black clothing, tights, shoes on models to demonstrate an item is ridiculous.  The camera can not pick up detail on black items.  It is a waste of time and insult to viewers to continue this practice.  Behind the scenes stylists are in painful need of training on how to show products to their best advantage.

Super Contributor

I agree the hosts are to concerned with the fit on themselves and if they can get an order in often no mention of the fabrication or the hosts do not put on true sizes to fit their proportions not easy to gauge sizes black is not an easy color to view on TV for detail lovely color to wear too dangerous to wait until I get my purchase home to figure out the textile I just pass or go to website
Honored Contributor

@deb31 wrote:

@deb31May I add that turning the rack to the side only shoes a small amount of color and keeps you guessing when colors are close to another hue.

Esteemed Contributor

@deb31 I totally agree.  Also,when the host holds the shoe by the heel!  How can I see the heel height when she is waving it around by the heel?  Just set it down sideways please.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth