Respected Contributor

Re: Having a Morton's neuroma removed this week

Thanks @gidgetgh Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have one of those on my left foot.  So far I am able to control the pain wearing neuroma foot pads.  I hope all goes well for you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie thanks! I had the surgery this morning. So far so good. ☺

Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Imaoldhippie thanks! I had the surgery this morning. So far so good.

@Texasmouse  How have you been doing after your neuroma surgery? I went to the doctor (GP) this week and he said he thinks I have metatarsalgia. I actually suspect it's Morton's Neuroma. I'm to come back in a couple of weeks for a referral to a podiatrist.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Texasmouse  How have you been doing after your neuroma surgery? I went to the doctor (GP) this week and he said he thinks I have metatarsalgia. I actually suspect it's Morton's Neuroma. I'm to come back in a couple of weeks for a referral to a podiatrist.

@morganjen, when I was in college, I developed metatarsalgia, according to the school's med center doctor. It was excruciating.

But metatarsalgia simply means pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot. It is not condition in and of itself but an indication of other conditions/problems, so you are right to consider finding out the cause.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse. I had that surgery done st least 20 years ago and I had a great surgeon. I dont remember how long I was laid up. I know I wore a special shoe until it healed and it healed very fast. Morton’s neuroma is very painful. You will be happy you had it done. Mine was done by an ortho surgeon who specialized in the feet.
Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB. I had the exact same experience as you. Mine was done st least 20 years ago. Wore a boot shoe for a short period of time and went back to wearing high heels and any other shoes I wanted. I have never had a recurrence. I do remember how painful the neuroma was.
Respected Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@morganjen sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I've been doing well, thanks for asking!

I've been wearing running shoes with my custom orthotics in them since I stopped wearing my surgical shoe and that's the ONLY footwear I've been wearing outside the house. I don't know if the neuroma or the pain would return if I were to wear my regular shoes but I'm not chancing a recurrence.

My podiatrist advised me to always wear my orthotics so next I'll be shopping for shoes that will accommodate them! Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:
@KatieB. I had the exact same experience as you. Mine was done st least 20 years ago. Wore a boot shoe for a short period of time and went back to wearing high heels and any other shoes I wanted. I have never had a recurrence. I do remember how painful the neuroma was.

Wow, you're lucky @Teddixat!  I'd be afraid of a recurrence and then having to go through the surgery and recovery all over again! I'm not going to tempt fate! 

Esteemed Contributor

I suffer from the same thing... sometimes.  After I dance, I sit and rest and the neuroma acts up.  Then  within a few minutes it goes away.  I have decided to DO  NOTHING.  I feel that in my case the cure might be worse than the disease.  

I was told if I were to lose weight it would not bother me at all.