Honored Contributor

Have you ever heard this about zippers before?

I was reading a review of the GILI Madison bag and came across this:

"I feel that this purse is overpriced for the stiff fabric and inferior details it exhibits. The most distressing factor is the visible zippers. When paying this much for a bag, I should not see zippers hanging over the outside of the bag."

Is this really a thing? I've never heard this zipper rule before. The Madison is $260. I have several bags that are more than $260 and they have zippers that hang over the outside of the bag. The Madison seems to have decorative hardware on the zipper pulls. It looks like they're solid goldtone rectangles, not your plain zipper tabs. I have some zippers with leather pulls and just found a Kate Spade bag at Nordstrom that has leather zipper pulls hanging all over and Kate Spade bags are considerably more expensive than GILI bags.

Have you ever heard this about zippers and handbag cost before? Do they actually distress you?

Super Contributor

Re: Have you ever heard this about zippers before?

I bought the same bag and also started a thread on this. I posted that the zipper issue didn't bother me. It's a nice bag...

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes this zipper thing bothers me too .It depends on the bag. The first time I saw it on a bag , very a long time ago, years ,in fact. I really hated it but now I see it quite often on lots of very expensive bags.

Valued Contributor

I saw that review. By a person who didn't get the bag!!! Lisa explained that this way you can easily get into the middle compartment of the bag so I appreciate that! But I'm still waiting to see the bag in person so I may change my mind Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Welcome to the amusing world of ridiculous reviews!
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have heard that before.

Personally, I buy what I like. If I thought a zipper looked out of place or strange, the bag wouldn't appeal to me. But if I like the overall look, feel, and functionality, then I'll buy it. I don't specifically look to see if zippers are visible. It's the overall look that matters to me, and I can't remember zippers ever being an issue or causing me to change my mind about quality or appeal.

Kiss

Honored Contributor

If the zipper didn't have over the outside of the bag you would have a really hard time getting into the bag. I think every purse that I have with a zipper has it hanging over the outside.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Some people would pick this bag apart regardless, simply because it's "Gili" and because of Lisa's role in Gili... I have no idea if that's the case in this instance.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.scared} Well, I do not like Lisa and her Gili line. My friend and co- worker brought the bag with the ostrich feathers and the thing fell apart in just a few weeks. It was too late to return it so she threw it out in the garbage never again she said.

Valued Contributor

The review on this bag begs the question of why the poster bought the bag in the first place. The online pix as well as the video clearly shows the zipper hanging off the bag. SMH...

Maria