Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Received the Dooney Nov. 15th TSV Yet? What is the Leather Like?

luvmyteddy: I bought my pebbled leather zip zip at one of the Dooney outlets. It was the version with the trim leather matching the color of the handbag. I haven't seen that version on Q. All the zip zip in pebbled leather that I've seen on Q have contrasting leather trim, and it's also on the inside pockets (I've checked the photos). Maybe the version I bought was made exclusively for the outlets??? I don't know. I never ran across that before... all the outlet bags I've bought have looked like regular retail in all the details. The only time I've run across any differences was when I bought a handbag in a sample sale.... and I expected it might be different.

Anyway, my experience has taught me to check the details a little more carefully. The pebbled leather zip zip I have is lovely and even now, realizing there is no leather trim on the inside pockets, and the pebbled leather is thinner than other pebbled leather handbags I have from Dooney, I still would not return this zip zip if I had the option. I like the style a lot and it's lighter weight. Also the thinner leather doesn't seem to be a problem because the bag is very structured. And I'm also pretty sure I would buy it again. I guess it's all a matter of price/value. Time will tell how well it wears, but since I change handbags almost daily, I don't think that wear will be a problem for me.

Respected Contributor

The Zip Zip satchel is an updated version of Dooney's original Norfolk satchel that they made in the 80s and early 90s I believe. I have both versions, and the leather is thinner on the new version. The original was thick, thick leather, with the suede interior and the pockets were inserted via buttons. You can still find some of the Norfok on Ebay! Leather prices continue to soar and you would have to pay so much more for thicker leather!

New Contributor

Yuck, I hate Dooney's embossed (and most brand's, for that matter) because it looks and feels like hard plastic. IT's just not a high quality look.

Honored Contributor

It's a matter of opinion and personal preference. I happen to like Saffiano and other embossed leathers, among many other options. Good thing, isn't it, that so many leather options exist so there's plenty to choose from...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 11/8/2014 stevieb said:

It's a matter of opinion and personal preference. I happen to like Saffiano and other embossed leathers, among many other options. Good thing, isn't it, that so many leather options exist so there's plenty to choose from...

I'm with you StevieB. I have been carrying my croco embossed zip/zip for the past week and love it as much as the green. I took your advice on the white one that came without its extras and Q made good on it.

I would not normally fuss, as it was as is, but the clearance price for the bag (new) was only $6 more but they didn't have the white. I am a happy girl and set the pretty little white one aside for warmer days.

Deb

Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 SFGIANTSGIRL said:
On 11/8/2014 stevieb said:

I'm with you StevieB. I have been carrying my croco embossed zip/zip for the past week and love it as much as the green. I took your advice on the white one that came without its extras and Q made good on it.

I would not normally fuss, as it was as is, but the clearance price for the bag (new) was only $6 more but they didn't have the white. I am a happy girl and set the pretty little white one aside for warmer days.

Deb

Wow Deb, I was a little surprised to hear of that meager price differential but then I'd forgotten it was on clearance. Still, the white was so pretty and at least this way you were able to grab one! I remember at the time the bag was a TSV I loved the white (and yellow), but didn't spring for one... Glad it worked out that you got a few extra bucks off and know you'll enjoy carrying it when spring and summer roll around!

Smile

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Occasional Contributor

On 11/7/2014 stellabystarlight said:

The Zip Zip satchel is an updated version of Dooney's original Norfolk satchel that they made in the 80s and early 90s I believe. I have both versions, and the leather is thinner on the new version. The original was thick, thick leather, with the suede interior and the pockets were inserted via buttons. You can still find some of the Norfok on Ebay! Leather prices continue to soar and you would have to pay so much more for thicker leather!

I just bought a vintage Red Norfolk satchel and the leather is wonderful! The bag is in pristine condition and the leather is much thicker than today's satchels. I have the Zip Zip in Croco, so I can't compare the leathers on these two bags, but I have other vintage Dooney's, and the leather is much thicker on all of them.