Valued Contributor
On 3/5/2014 chrystaltree said:

...then don't buy one. It's neither a federal nor a state law. So, what was the point of this post?

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor
On 6/30/2014 Nikalette said: I paid off my car after 6 years, but that was $405...my house payment with impound account is $1750. Are your house and car payment similar? Lucky you! Personally, if I could afford $7800 for a Gucci Soho, I'd get it! Anyway you can get a new bag at Target, Walmart or Ross for about $30...so go for it! Some people have house payments much higher than mine and yours. It is hard to generalize how much different people's house and car payments are, isn't it? So are you saying it is nuts for people to pay for,a purse what YOUR house payment is, or,what theirs is?

Nika, my mortgage payments are similar to yours... I must be nuts because I could have rented a decent 2 bedroom apt for $500 a month less than my mortgage payments which would get me on average one Gucci purse a year.... {#emotions_dlg.w00t} bummer....*considering selling the house* {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Super Contributor
Kitty. In my town I could rent a house for a little less, but I am held hostage by my pets! Anyway when I bought my house 16 years ago, the payment was $750, paid $159k. Had to refinance a couple of times. Before the bottom dropped out of,the market, when I owed $250k, I could have sold for $450k! The worst thing is my ex told me to sell, but I didn't believe him. Now, I owe about $270k and would be lucky to clear a few thousand. I keep hoping the market will improve. Wouldn't it be nice to rent? Except for the enormous tax write off!
On 7/1/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 6/30/2014 Nikalette said: I paid off my car after 6 years, but that was $405...my house payment with impound account is $1750. Are your house and car payment similar? Lucky you! Personally, if I could afford $7800 for a Gucci Soho, I'd get it! Anyway you can get a new bag at Target, Walmart or Ross for about $30...so go for it! Some people have house payments much higher than mine and yours. It is hard to generalize how much different people's house and car payments are, isn't it? So are you saying it is nuts for people to pay for,a purse what YOUR house payment is, or,what theirs is?

Nika, my mortgage payments are similar to yours... I must be nuts because I could have rented a decent 2 bedroom apt for $500 a month less than my mortgage payments which would get me on average one Gucci purse a year.... {#emotions_dlg.w00t} bummer....*considering selling the house* {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Regular Contributor

It is great that we live in a country where we are free to live where we want and to spend our money on whatever makes us happy. I have even heard about an old woman who lived in a shoe. I'm just not sure which neck of the woods she was from.

Super Contributor
Women who spend $7800 for a handbag do so because they CAN. Gucci Soho as a whole don't cost that much unless you get it the exotics. Anyway the women who own such bags do not consider themselves nuts, but then you are entitled to your opinion and to spend your money as you wish.
Honored Contributor
On 7/1/2014 3star said: Women who spend $7800 for a handbag do so because they CAN.

You don't know this - they could be starving their children to feed into a NEED to have this. You have no idea if they can afford it or not. People think having these designer bags is a status symbol - it's not. Anyone can have one - esp. with internet shopping. Actually , when I see what appears to be a very uber expensive bag I always just assume it is a knockoff.

Honored Contributor

Oh, brother...

Honored Contributor
On 7/1/2014 happy housewife said:
On 7/1/2014 3star said: Women who spend $7800 for a handbag do so because they CAN.

You don't know this - they could be starving their children to feed into a NEED to have this. You have no idea if they can afford it or not. People think having these designer bags is a status symbol - it's not. Anyone can have one - esp. with internet shopping. Actually , when I see what appears to be a very uber expensive bag I always just assume it is a knockoff.

Who knows what some people do to have a winter home and a summer home? I always assume most people who CLAIM to have two homes really don't. Makes sense doesn't it? I don't think that is a status symbol either like some do . . . Honestly, it never stops does it?

Super Contributor
I so believe this is a very rare exception in that ultra exclusive market.
Valued Contributor
On 7/1/2014 Nikalette said:Kitty. In my town I could rent a house for a little less, but I am held hostage by my pets! Anyway when I bought my house 16 years ago, the payment was $750, paid $159k. Had to refinance a couple of times. Before the bottom dropped out of,the market, when I owed $250k, I could have sold for $450k! The worst thing is my ex told me to sell, but I didn't believe him. Now, I owe about $270k and would be lucky to clear a few thousand. I keep hoping the market will improve. Wouldn't it be nice to rent? Except for the enormous tax write off!

Nikalette, which state are you from? It's very unfortunate about the house, but I understand you not wanting to sell it. Hope the real estate market improves in your area! It's improving in California. My house is worth $30K more than when I bought it roughly 1.5 years ago! I guess I should thank the economy... Yes, houses are expensive, but renting all your life can get expensive too, and more stressful if you have to move every few years or so...

Anyway, back to the handbags....I REALLY wish to know how some women/people in general can afford expensive stuff because I want to be there too....My only conclusion based on what I saw is, you have to have your own business to make millions....Not happening in my life anytime soon....haha....but oh well, at least I make enough to be able to afford a few moderately priced good quality handbags....Some women spend hundreds of dollars on cigarettes or starbucks....everybody's budget is different!