Honored Contributor

HOW DO YOU STORE YOUR SHOES?

Just had new carpeting installed, and I ended up removing everything from my closet (!!!) and am re-configuring it.  

I was looking at "shoe storage organizer" searches last night. and the possibilities seem endless .... depending on the space you have to work with ...  and budget, of course.

It seems like there are 3 basic options .....  hanging, shelving and cabinets.    It also depends on the number of pair you have .... your choices would also vary depending on how many pair you wear on a regular basis, and what you only wear occasionally.

So ..........   please share what you find works best for you ..... any feedback, challenges, purchases that didn't work out .....  anything you want to share on this important topic, lol.   

Oh yes .... and if you have any PHOTOS  to post, I bet others would love to see what you've done!

TIA !!!   Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU STORE YOUR SHOES?

Well I have told my shoe story before but I will tell you.   My DH built me a closet in a spare finished room in the basement.  I have one wall of shelving just for my shoes.

I know, I hate to brag, LOL!     The wall opposite that is shelving for blankets, comforters etc. and the other two walls have hanging rods for clothing.  (embarassing, they are full)  The shelving is like you buy at Lowes or Home Depot (white rack type) and it has worked out very well for me.  The only shoes on the floor are my snow boots, Bear Paws, stuff like that.  Good luck with the rearranging, I love being organized.

Trusted Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me about 3 years ago. New carpet forced me to re-organize.

I have 2 medium-sized closets. Not a lot of room. So I have short bamboo shoe racks in both closets. I push them far back near the clothes, but not so far that I can't see what I have. Amazon has many to choose from.

Best wishes to you!

Happy re-organizing!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have those over the door shoe organizers.  Every closet door has one. 

Three hold shoes,

The coat closet door holds gloves, sunglasses, coat scarves, etc. 

The linen closet door holds odds and endds that would get lost on the shelves - e.g. stash makeup, shampoo, razers, cotton balls, etc.,

Behind the bathroom dodor - combs, brushes, makeup, curling irons,  etc.

Respected Contributor

In my Pants closet I have 4 2-foot sections of shelves with 2 shelves each  bought at Lowes which placed in two rows high and next to each other makes a 4 foot shelf  (with some space in between. The floor under the shelving holds two rows of 12 pair each so that's 24 on the floor.  The shelving sections have 2 shelves which each hold 5 pair of shoes for a total of 20, then the top of the shelving sections holds 5 pair each for a total of 10,

In my closet that has double hanging rods for jackets and tops DH installed a shelf that is I think 6 feet long in between the two sections of rods.  This shelf holds two rows of about 15 pair of shoes each so about 30 pair.  Also two rows of 15 on the floor of this closet so 60 pair in this closet.

In a downstairs closet with a door I have an over the door hanging shoe rack that holds 20 pair and in another downstairs closet I have 2 shoe cubbies also bought at Lowes that each hold 20 pair so there is 40 plus 4 on top of the cubbies. 

Also put dress shoes in shoe boxes under the bed and some sandles in trays on the floor on closets. 

So it is easy to store alot of shoes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an expandable shoe rack that sits on the floor.

They look something like this and there's usually one to four angled tiers.2-Tier Expandable Floor Shoe Rack with Room for up to 12 Pairs

Honored Contributor

I store mine in labeled boxes, those they come in, on shelves in two walk-in closets.  I must weed them out. I have so many shoes, it's getting ridiculous.  

Respected Contributor

We have 3 shoe shelving units in our master closet that DH and I share.  They work well.  I think we got them from Wayfair - they needed to be built but it was easy and they were well priced.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,

I think it really depends on how many shoes you have.

My daughter has a whole wall of shelves with shoes.

I have a small closet with a hanging canvas shelf shoe bag and the rest I store on the floor, in bags or in a canvas bag for a winter boot pair under the bed.

It really does depend on the size of your closet and number of shoes.

If you have a lot I would get some kind of shelves, and if not a lot, the over the door or over the closet bar shoe bags.

I don't like those on the floor shelves for anything. They take up unnecessary room and you always have to reach down or around for the shoes you want.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a large walk in closet.  I have two shoe hanging organizers on the rod.  It's not the same the over the door version.  It's more like little cubby shelves.  I keep my shoes there.   I have my fall shoes closer to the top and my summer shoes in the bottom.  Come spring, I'll switch them.  

Above the rod is a long shelf.  I keep my boots in the boxes wtith the labels facing out (like in shoes store) stacked up there. 

I also have many pairs of high heels that I used to wear when I worked in an office.  Since I have not been doing that, I put those in large plastic bins.  Those I store on the floor, tucked in the back. I don't know if I will ever be back in the office, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them.  

I do have a lot of shoes....  lol.  Some I have had over 25 years!  Taking them to the cobbler for new soles, helps them last.