Contributor

Re: Guilt over too many handbags?

On 1/21/2014 RespectLife said:

Oh my goodness! You are not the only one. I am your clone...did my husband put you up to writing this? LOL Every word you wrote...EVERY word is me! This thread hit me like a brick right between the eyes!

I recently cleaned out tons of purses I hadn't used in ages. Old styles/designers I don't like anymore (KVZ for one), purses too small, handles too short. I was ashamed of what filled the back of my car. I gave them away to anyone who would take them and like them. Donated the rest. It only put a dent in what I have. Sigh.

I vowed this year to stop it and to go back and reuse the handbags I have stored. Was doing good till last night when the IM Bridgehampton hobo went on EZ pay and free shipping. It has a nice long handle so I tried to justify the purchase that is was needed since I am wearing huge winter coats and need a long strap drop. No excuse really.

Thanks for the dose of reality. I am going to continue my quest to improve this habit of mine.

I am so glad that there are others out there that have the same habit. I have loved handbags since I was a little girl, I actually still have the very first one that seemed "designer" to me at age 7. It was a small black black from the brand steffano from the store Fashion Bug. LOL. And from there on out it has been an addiction that is getting pricey. I don't think some understand why I feel guilty but, to use a $400+ handbag for a month and toss in a pile makes me feel guilty. LOL. Although I am still on the lookout for a black casual hobo handbag I will totally quit for a while... If I could refrain from buying until my September birthday then it would maybe feel a little bit more valued? And then some of the ones sitting could get some use to quiet down the hubby LOL

Valued Contributor

When I buy a purse I have to love it. The ones I have in my closet I have never gotten tired of. I like to go in and choose one to use for a few days to a week and then I go in and take another one out to use but depends on my outfit or the size of a purse I need. I have never felt guilt about buying something I enjoy as much as my purses and no one is going to make me feel guilt about it. I buy them and don't get rid of any of them and probably won't and my daughter can borrow what she likes from my collection which is fun too.

Honored Contributor

I can't even relate to such foolishness. My husband and I talk about many things but not my handbags. He doesn't care how many I own. He doesn't buy my bags, I can afford to buy bags. I collect handbags too, I'm thinking now about spring bag. I have no reason to feel guilty about it. Maybe...if I had to steal money to buy my bags...that would make me feel guilty.

Contributor

On 1/21/2014 chrystaltree said:

I can't even relate to such foolishness. My husband and I talk about many things but not my handbags. He doesn't care how many I own. He doesn't buy my bags, I can afford to buy bags. I collect handbags too, I'm thinking now about spring bag. I have no reason to feel guilty about it. Maybe...if I had to steal money to buy my bags...that would make me feel guilty.

My goodness, this was supposed to be a light hearted topic. I have no clue how everything seems to get so twisted. FYI I talk to my husband about many things too and by no means was he telling me in a serious way that I could not buy handbags. It was more like a joke type of thing that got me actually thinking of the waste of the bags sitting and me buying more. What ever happened to if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all? Seems like this happens a lot...

Respected Contributor

DH would never complain to me about buying anything. BUT . . . I would feel downright ashamed if I were to over purchase anything. It's a time in my life to be sensible.

I have three or four Vera medium cross body bags that I use from time to time, mostly during the summer. Four different color varieties. All came from eBay sales at great prices. And I have one navy Dooney cross body that was a gift. Very nice and very very heavy. I rarely use it, but keep it because it was a gift.

One black Brighton beauty I got at a thrift store for about $30.00, new with tags. It's become my funeral bag - when you're my age, you go to lots of funerals! Three in the last month.

I have one Elliott Lucca brown leather, which I love and which I don't think will ever wear out. It's about 15 years old. I use it in the fall and winter.

I did purchase the pink and white Dooney shown on the Insider last month. It will be my dress bag for this summer. I probably bought it for the color! I know I am going to hate the weight! No more bags for me - maybe forever. Everything else has been donated or passed on to grands.

As Porky Pig would say, , , , ,That's all, folks.

Honored Contributor

HH, how about a compromise with something like this, renting a handbag?

http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/

Your accessory is available to be rented in one-month periods. If you're still enjoying it when the time is up, simply keep it for longer - we'll renew the rental automatically!

We strive to make the borrowing experience as easy as possible. Here are some things to know:

Your rental will arrive to you in pristine condition (they're cleaned professionally when returned each and every time).

We offer free shipping and free returns. See complete shipping & return details here

If you see an accessory you like and it's labeled "Available", then it is! If it says "On Loan", you'll have to wait a bit.

When you borrow a bag, you can keep tabs on your end dates and what you've borrowed with your borrowing history.

We'll even send you an email alert to help you remember when your rental is due!

Love the item!? Keep renting it for as long as you wish. Just remember, rental items are not eligible for purchase.

Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 1/21/2014 chrystaltree said:

How is this foolish? She said her bags were pricey & not cheap. Maybe her husband thinks that a lot of that money could have went into a retirement account or to save for a new car or whatever.

I think it's great that she now agrees with her husband & realizes the problem.

I think if anything he meant it more along the lines of that I had so many that sit and don't get used and he knows that after a month or son of use I'm going to be on the hunt for another one. LOL. I just wondered if there was other women that do the same thing, because in my family circle most of the women use their purse until they NEED to purchase another one. They all make light hearted jokes about me and my purses. I have always had a thing for bags and can afford them but why buy them and have them sit around? Just wondered if anyone else had a ton sitting around and still bought more LOL. If Crystaltree thinks that's foolish well then so be it, not quite sure why she would even post that? I don't purposefully go into threads to make fun of people...{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

Lately, though it doesn't seem to stop me from buying more or it hasn't yet anyway, I've begun to feel quite ridiculous and yes, guilty, about the number of bags I acquire and the amount I spend on them. It's just really complete nonsense when I think about it and it's one of those things I truly hope to address... If there weren't so many fabulous bags and I wasn't so weak it would truly be a whole lot more simple!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

You are not alone. But I'm not a researcher. I'm more of an impulse buyer. For example, I can't fly through London Heathrow without stopping at the duty free Mulberry or go to the mall without a quick visit to Kate Spade. I admit I have way too many handbags.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I think I would be better off if I just rented a handbag for a month and ""get it out of my system."" Then move on to another rental.