Respected Contributor

Grand-Niece, 16 wearing high heels shoes stilletos

I am aghast at a family member being allowed to wear high heels to school. In my era, children dressed appropriately. Young people today seemed to have lost the moral code in life. I had a lengthy discussion about it and seems like I am in the minority and her parents let her dress how she sees fit. Just another example of children running al ober the adults in the room. I'm done.

Honored Contributor

Re: Grand-Niece, 16 wearing high heels shoes stilletos

"I'm done." Promise? You are painting an entire age group with a broad brush, a practice I LOATHE.

I bet you're a lot of fun to know. Yeah, right. Bet you weren't perfect as a teen..oh of course you were!

Honored Contributor

I was about her age ...

I can still remember back in the Dark Ages the really big deal when I wanted a pair of "Cuban" heels ... not even high heels.   

My father was quite strict about apparel ... I didn't even own any pants, and we wore uniforms to school.  I asked my mother and she consulted with my father, we had a sit-down discussion.  Eventually, I got a pair of black suede pumps with a Cuban heel.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The height of a girl’s heels does not relate to her level of morality. Look through any fashion magazine and you will see lots of stilettos with everything. On the other hand, any foot doctor will tell us that wearing stilettos too often is hard on our feet. Her parents have chosen to pick their battles with their daughter and care much more about teenage drinking, smoking, substance abuse, and health than the height of her heels. 

I am in my mid-sixties and if I could handle wearing high, thin heels, I would. Soon enough she will find herself in practical shoes. 

If you feel like saying “in my era”, you are either reminiscing or have not evolved as times have changed. Older is not necessarily better. 

Trusted Contributor

Does she have clothes on?  Ha Ha!

Really, sixteen is when you should wear high heals, because when you get older your feet hurt to much to wear them.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Times have changed.  Just look at what our youth has for models...people similar to the likes of the Kardashians.  My grandson's teen girlfriend wears heavy makeup and false lashes on a daily basis.  Stilettos are the least of it.  They went off as freshmen in college together in August.  I've vowed to just keep my mouth shut about it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be sixteen again for anything, but I wish I could wear 👠 , sigh.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I don't think the stilletos have reached high school girls in most of the Midwest...yet. Most of the middle school and high school kids here still are into more relaxed clothes, e.g. jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, sports shorts, etc. We live in a different world - times moves on. My parents were "aghast" at the haircuts of the Beatles in the 60s and the Twiggy styles I thought were cool. That said, I agree that there is a segment of kids will take the dress code over the edge. Stilletos in high school to me is just that. But both parents and school administrators need to say no, and I don't see that happening in many parts of the country, because they surely wouldn't want to offend anyone. If the parents don't care - not much you can do.

Honored Contributor

You are only young once and if that's what all the 16 year old girls are wearing at her school, then why not! As long as the rest of her outfit is not provocative if I was her Mom I would let her wear the heels. That being said, I think young women today do dress too provocatively and then wonder why they are perceived in a certain way or not taken seriously. Sometimes self respect needs to be taught.

Trusted Contributor

My fear would be that she might be injured. However, that age wants to wear what they perceive to be grown up clothing.
Do the math.