Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grand-Niece, 16 wearing high heels shoes stilletos

Oh my stars and garters!  Bring on the smelling salts.  I am about to have a attack of the vapors.

Honored Contributor

Same-old, same-old.

My only caveat would be to advise a girl to limit her very high heels to special occasions. Just ask any foot surgeon.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I wonder when that perfect era existed -  or maybe where it existed.  I know it wasn't in my central Pennsylvania area during the late 1950's when I was in high school.

I'm not aghast about those shoes.  Yes, I'd prefer young women would ditch the stilettos, but it's not at all moral -  my concern would be their doing physical damage to their backs and/or feet - especially if the heels they're wearing are not well engineered!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

Never have truer word been said, there is so much more to worry about with teens than the height of the heels they wear. Give the kids a break, if she likes the show let her wear what she wants

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Teenage girls wearing high heals are low on the list of things to worry about.Parents are too busy being concerned with  alcohol,drugs & promiscuity !!!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I am aghast at a family member being allowed to wear high heels to school. In my era, children dressed appropriately. Young people today seemed to have lost the moral code in life. I had a lengthy discussion about it and seems like I am in the minority and her parents let her dress how she sees fit. Just another example of children running al ober the adults in the room. I'm done.

I had them when I was a teenager. How are shoes a reflection of a persons moral code? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

I can’t even imagine how high heels could be perceived as immoral

Respected Contributor

@ReeverJust roll with the times. I think back when I was a teen and we wore blue eyeshadow, white lipstick, white Go Go boots with black fishnet hose.

Honored Contributor

While stilettos wouldn't be my first choice for school, I would not worry about it or consider it a sign of immorality. 

When I was 16 the trend was wedge platforms, but my Catholic high school had a dress code that called for loafers or lace up oxfords only. We wore our platforms and heels to the dances and proms. I loved my high heels in my teens - 40s, but now in my 50s it is harder to wear them. 

Some of my 8th graders wear stilettos on graduation night. When we are out of uniform once a month most of the girls wear sneakers, flats, boots, or wedges of modest height. I always love seeing their personal style on these out of uniform days. 

Honored Contributor

As long as the school approves, why not?

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:
My fear would be that she might be injured. However, that age wants to wear what they perceive to be grown up clothing.

@MarieIG  I agree.  I don't have a problem with the look.  I tend to think that they could hurt, do damage to foot or twist the ankle...It's got to be painful even at 16 to wear those things all day unless she brings a pair of more comfortable footwear to change into.