Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grand-Niece, 16 wearing high heels shoes stilletos

You're only young once and 16 isn't too young to wear a stilleto heel. And of course at that age your feet don't hurt since you have all the padding on your feet and you don't have wear and tear on your feet either. But there's a time and place for them too. I do think that the parents do pick their battles and if I was the parent of a teen, I would let it go.

Valued Contributor

I had a girlfriend who was married late in life and adopted her first child at around 43-44 years old. We live in different states now and I remember getting together a few years ago for lunch. 

She was having a fit as her then 15-16 year old daughter wanted to wear make-up and commented that she wasn't allowed to do that at age 16.  Being childless, I didn't dare say "you were 15 almost 50 years ago" .  

My friend was always very stylish and I think she missed a great opportunity to take her daughter to a spa day or cosmetic counter to do make-up together. 

Esteemed Contributor

Teenage girls wearing high heals are low on the list of things to worry about.Parents are too busy being concerned with  alcohol,drugs & promiscuity !!!

Respected Contributor

When I was 16, I could run in heels!  Those were the days.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I am aghast at a family member being allowed to wear high heels to school. In my era, children dressed appropriately. Young people today seemed to have lost the moral code in life. I had a lengthy discussion about it and seems like I am in the minority and her parents let her dress how she sees fit. Just another example of children running al ober the adults in the room. I'm done.

High heels? really? The most important things is her heart, her love and kindness for others. Being drug free and doing well in school, etc. Not high heels... 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I am aghast at a family member being allowed to wear high heels to school. In my era, children dressed appropriately. Young people today seemed to have lost the moral code in life. I had a lengthy discussion about it and seems like I am in the minority and her parents let her dress how she sees fit. Just another example of children running al ober the adults in the room. I'm done.

Your niece doesn't in any way deserve your attitude about her wearing heels.  Take a breath and look at the real world today.  That's terrible to assume anything about the young lady's "moral code" because of her shoes.  Really!  

I think you should be done, certainly back off what you assume about a kid. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i sure can't see what the fuss is about.  As long as one can walk correctly in high heels (I have seen some who can't - they do that mincing walk that looks silly - you need to be able to stride out) it would certainly be OK to wear them.  I am in my 70's and when I was in my early teens started wearing high heels and the large picture hats that were so popular at that time.  That was the going to church outfit.  Didn't really wear them to school as pogos or Capezios were the popular shoes in my school with a blazer and either straight or pleated skirt.

I could dance all night and run all over town in my high heels at an early age.  Sure wish I could wear them now!  Now my granddaugher in her teens is just the opposite - can't motivate at all in heels and is not interested in them.

Respected Contributor

I'm in my early 30s and I grew up in NYC. I don't remember heels being a thing at my high school. I know I didn't wear them and neither did most of my friends. 

IMO the OP is being way too harsh. I have some resentment that my mom still assumes for some reason that I must've smoked marijuana just because we lived in NYC. I've never done any drugs. I would protest from an early age about drinking wine at Christmas. I was so strict about it. She would push it on me.

You can't generalize about an entire generation or group of people. I've always been a serious nerdy kid and adult. I hardly go out. But just because I'm from NYC, most outsiders (and my mom) think I must be well lived or something. As long as your grand-niece studies and takes herself seriously, that is what matters.

Shoes are shoes. I wish I could go back and wear some high heels myself. Over the years, I can't unless they have a platform.

Don't judge or criticize and don't malign her reputation over a pair of darn shoes. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

I'm having a hard time understanding how you can conflate high heels with immorality. How can you can suggest that your grand-niece's attire justifies labeling her entire generation as lacking morals? 

Honored Contributor

When I was in high school, we had a "choice" -- Bobby sox and saddle shoes -- OR high heels and seamed hose.    The seams had to be STRAIGHT, too -- the nuns checked with a yardstick.   50 years ago (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥