Super Contributor

Re: GILI ROMA 2 NATURAL OSTRICH WHAT CORPORATE TOLD ME TODAY

You could send Lisa an email. I've done it myself and have received responses; I'm not sure that they're authored by her but I received them nonetheless. It's worth a try.
Occasional Contributor

Sorry to jump in here. I don't usually participate in the forum, I just submit product reviews, but I wanted to speak up for another possibility. It is possible that both things are true: that you got a bad bag, and the marks are part of the pattern. I purchased two of these bags, one for me and one for my daughter. Both had additional pattern marks that were not just dots. Mine had 3 and my daughter's had 1. These were clearly not streaks or smears and at no time (until I read people's perception of them in the product reviews) did I think they were anything other than intended. I have a real ostrich belt that also has other marks besides the dots, so this just seemed part of the pattern to me. Also, the one on my daughters had the same shape as one on mine, but it is turned at about a 90 degree angle. Again, that made me concluded they were intended, and I put that in my review. I think they make the pattern look more authentic to a real animal skin. When I read some reviews here I questioned whether they were intended and really looked at them. They aren't smears or streaks, and with a repeat in my daughter's, they seem intended. In the end I decided it didn't matter. I love the bags, including the marks, and since they didn't appear to be mistakes to me, I didn't question further. The bags I got did not have scratches so I can understand being upset by that, but you seem to be very upset because you feel they lied to you. I'm not sure that is the case. I think you could have had a defective bag, and I think it's possible that the pattern has more marks intended than just the dots. In the end it does come down to taste, and thanks to the return policy, if you don't like the bag, you can send it back.
Respected Contributor

I would also recommend emailing Lisa. I have always received a response from her or whoever answers her mail. She really can't do anything, but she should know For me, if QVC is not going to stand behind their products, then I don't want to do business with them. They are becoming the Fingerhut (like Fingerhut was in the 80's). Lol. To clarify, when I say they don't appear to be standing behind their product, I mean in the way that they acknowledge obvious defects and want to make things right for their customers. Not in the way that they refuse to acknowledge anything is wrong.
Honored Contributor

It was an overpriced, defective bag.

I am sure if you look around, there are other dupes of the Gucci bag out there that will be better.

It's just a bag.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/1/2014 Doodica said: Sorry to jump in here. I don't usually participate in the forum, I just submit product reviews, but I wanted to speak up for another possibility. It is possible that both things are true: that you got a bad bag, and the marks are part of the pattern. I purchased two of these bags, one for me and one for my daughter. Both had additional pattern marks that were not just dots. Mine had 3 and my daughter's had 1. These were clearly not streaks or smears and at no time (until I read people's perception of them in the product reviews) did I think they were anything other than intended. I have a real ostrich belt that also has other marks besides the dots, so this just seemed part of the pattern to me. Also, the one on my daughters had the same shape as one on mine, but it is turned at about a 90 degree angle. Again, that made me concluded they were intended, and I put that in my review. I think they make the pattern look more authentic to a real animal skin. When I read some reviews here I questioned whether they were intended and really looked at them. They aren't smears or streaks, and with a repeat in my daughter's, they seem intended. In the end I decided it didn't matter. I love the bags, including the marks, and since they didn't appear to be mistakes to me, I didn't question further. The bags I got did not have scratches so I can understand being upset by that, but you seem to be very upset because you feel they lied to you. I'm not sure that is the case. I think you could have had a defective bag, and I think it's possible that the pattern has more marks intended than just the dots. In the end it does come down to taste, and thanks to the return policy, if you don't like the bag, you can send it back.
I purchased two of these ostrich bags. The first one was so bad, it was full of deep scratches that you could hardly see the natural top color. I first called CS and the representative told me without even seeing the bag ( I still had it) that the scratches and streaks were part of the design, the artist designed it to be that way. I was appalled and told the rep that it was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Since when does an ostrich bag's top paint or coloring come off when your nail scrapes against it? That is what made me call Corporate. The woman in the President,s office told me she wanted to see it personally so I sent it directly to her. When she received it, she called me this morning and told me the exact same thing the rep from CS told me word for word but she added that she was told this by the manufacturer ( yeah right) she read the notes on my file or I guess she called China. But then she told me she didn't see any scratches or streaks. Really it's unreal, because the bag had them in so many different places. When I moved the tassel on the bag to look at it, my nail scraped the natural color paint off. Well the one that they pulled for me, which I received yesterday has the same scrapes and scratches and this time I took pictures. When I told her about the second pulled bag, she was quite snippy and repeated that ridiculous story about that being the design on the bag and then nastily said my name and is there anything else I could do for you? She may have thought I was ignorant but she got a mouthful from me. I will write that letter to the CEO. Do I get Lisa's email address on the Q's website because I want her to know exactly what I've gone through with these bags. I certainly don't blame her, it's QVC that is at fault here. They are picking the second bag up on Thursday but I'll tell you, I'd love for the CEO or Lisa to see this bag.
Occasional Contributor

Wow- it enrages me to hear about this story and how the OP was treated. I also received a natural ostrich bag with PAINT smears all over it. A DEFECT! There was certainly none of that in the photos or on air presentations. It was the paint used to darken the ostrich dots on the bag. Let's remember- this is not authentic ostrich leather- they are making it look that way by the use of paint. If you look at high end authentic ostrich bags the dots are naturally darkened- no need for paint. I would feel 100% confident placing a large bet that the paint used to darken those dots was NOT meant to smear. Shame on QVC corporate for insulting their customers' intelligence this way!
Honored Contributor

Just be glad you can send it back and make sure your refund is full....they should refund your return shipping fees but don't hold your breath!

I have not purchased any of the GILI bags and won't in the future either....there have been far too many problems/quality and workmanship issues in this line. if these were cars they would have been recalled! For her to tell you the scratches are part of the design is preposterous and an insult to customers. I would contact Lisa on facebook to make her aware...her reputation is behind this line.

Honored Contributor

On 7/1/2014 luvtoshopathome said:
On 7/1/2014 Doodica said: Sorry to jump in here. I don't usually participate in the forum, I just submit product reviews, but I wanted to speak up for another possibility. It is possible that both things are true: that you got a bad bag, and the marks are part of the pattern. I purchased two of these bags, one for me and one for my daughter. Both had additional pattern marks that were not just dots. Mine had 3 and my daughter's had 1. These were clearly not streaks or smears and at no time (until I read people's perception of them in the product reviews) did I think they were anything other than intended. I have a real ostrich belt that also has other marks besides the dots, so this just seemed part of the pattern to me. Also, the one on my daughters had the same shape as one on mine, but it is turned at about a 90 degree angle. Again, that made me concluded they were intended, and I put that in my review. I think they make the pattern look more authentic to a real animal skin. When I read some reviews here I questioned whether they were intended and really looked at them. They aren't smears or streaks, and with a repeat in my daughter's, they seem intended. In the end I decided it didn't matter. I love the bags, including the marks, and since they didn't appear to be mistakes to me, I didn't question further. The bags I got did not have scratches so I can understand being upset by that, but you seem to be very upset because you feel they lied to you. I'm not sure that is the case. I think you could have had a defective bag, and I think it's possible that the pattern has more marks intended than just the dots. In the end it does come down to taste, and thanks to the return policy, if you don't like the bag, you can send it back.
I purchased two of these ostrich bags. The first one was so bad, it was full of deep scratches that you could hardly see the natural top color. I first called CS and the representative told me without even seeing the bag ( I still had it) that the scratches and streaks were part of the design, the artist designed it to be that way. I was appalled and told the rep that it was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Since when does an ostrich bag's top paint or coloring come off when your nail scrapes against it? That is what made me call Corporate. The woman in the President,s office told me she wanted to see it personally so I sent it directly to her. When she received it, she called me this morning and told me the exact same thing the rep from CS told me word for word but she added that she was told this by the manufacturer ( yeah right) she read the notes on my file or I guess she called China. But then she told me she didn't see any scratches or streaks. Really it's unreal, because the bag had them in so many different places. When I moved the tassel on the bag to look at it, my nail scraped the natural color paint off. Well the one that they pulled for me, which I received yesterday has the same scrapes and scratches and this time I took pictures. When I told her about the second pulled bag, she was quite snippy and repeated that ridiculous story about that being the design on the bag and then nastily said my name and is there anything else I could do for you? She may have thought I was ignorant but she got a mouthful from me. I will write that letter to the CEO. Do I get Lisa's email address on the Q's website because I want her to know exactly what I've gone through with these bags. I certainly don't blame her, it's QVC that is at fault here. They are picking the second bag up on Thursday but I'll tell you, I'd love for the CEO or Lisa to see this bag.

take a photo of the bag and send it to Lisa or post it.

Frequent Contributor

One of the first problem I noticed with the Ostrich Roma 2 I received (after the odor) was similar to Silver33. The dye used on raised "dots" of the ostrich pattern was completely out of register. It was almost like seeing double. Then I noticed some scratches as the OP did. These were actual scrapes. Then I saw the hardware & handles and I was pretty disappointed. There was, to me, absolutely no "wow" factor about the bag, which is why I didn't request a replacement Roma in a different leather when I returned the ostrich.

I can completely understand the OP's frustration. I find the whole situation a little odd. QVC has been giving this bag an extremely hard sell. Lisa has told numerous stories of being in high-end department stores and having to give the salesclerks the SKU for her bag because they loved it at first sight & thought it was a Gucci. Lisa's also mentioned the leather used on some of the Romas is the best QVC has ever used. Would the D&B buyers & reps agree with that statement?

Again, I just find the situation strange. I understand not wanting to make complaints about an almost $200 TSV into a headline, but I don't understand rudeness to a customer who is willing to spend said $200. Or considering issuing an apology letter offering, I don't know, free shipping on their next order & waiving the return fee?

If anyone's interested my story had a happy ending: the kate spade web site has a sale (and a bonus 25% off - promo code MORESALE). I just received a $370 Cedar Street Elissa Bluebell for $160 and I CANNOT STOP STARING AT IT. It is so pretty! And it arrived wrapped in special tissue wrap and it felt like a little ceremony when I opened it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/1/2014 luvtoshopathome said: Corporate called me back today about the 2 Roma 2 Natural ostrich bags that I received with scratches/streaks all over them. The woman in corporate, Delores, told me she has the bag in her hand and the scratches/streaks are part of the design of the bag as she was told by the manufacturer. I told her I never saw an ostrich bag that had scratches in it. If you took your fingernail and scratched the bag you would see the top color come off. So she told me it is NOT a defect and those scratches/streaks are supposed to be there because it is part of the design. I told her that many people sent their bags back because of this and she said well they didn't like the design. I told her that some received perfect bags and her answer was, they liked the design the way it was made with the streaks and kept them. I never, in my life, saw any bag that if it scratched and it was so noticeable that the color came off the top, that it was not considered defective and who would wear an ostrich bag that had scratches and streaks all over it. I wonder if Lisa is walking around with her natural ostrich with scratches and streaks. I sincerely doubt it. Did Lisa ever mention when these bags were presented that the bag was designed with scratches and streaks? When these bags were shown on air did they have these "so called" designer streaks? Does the photo on the web have these streaks? NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. Well, so her answer was, that is the way it's made, so if you don't like it, send it back (the first one was sent back to her). She acted like it was my fault that I didn't like the "design" of the bag. This is so ridiculous and I am beyond furious right now. I was made to think that I didn't know that, that is the way an ostrich bag should look and no matter what I said, I was told to just send it back IF I DIDN'T LIKE IT. I wish that you ladies who experienced the same problem would call corporate and complain. so I am not made to look like an idiot who won't wear or accept a bag that is obviously defective. One more thing, they don't answer their lines, they only do call backs if you leave your name and number. Thanks for letting me vent because I am so very angry right now.

You made some good points, and I would be furious too. So much for quality, so much for standing behind their products, so much for customer service. The message that she sent loud & clear, IMO, is that they simply don't care. Customer satisfaction means nothing because they'll just sell that bag again to someone else.

To the poster who said they shouldn't have called: Yes, they should have! Calling back seems to be just about the only thing they did right! Of course it turned out to be useless and frustrating, but the one thing I wouldn't criticize them for is that they called.

luvtoshopathome, I would take the money and buy something else, somewhere else, from a company that stands behind what they sell. I know you wrote this post hours ago, and I hope you're feeling better about the situation now.

Kiss