Super Contributor

Re: GILI Croco Zipper - Anyone have any luck?

No luck! My croco arrived, though pretty it took both hands to close the zipper. The dip in the u construction was too deep. Sadly returned it. Too much $$$ to settle.
Super Contributor

The bigger question is why is anyone going through this much trouble to just make a handbag work?? A BRAND NEW bag nonetheless. While I do not own any of the GILI bags, I would never keep something for that kind of money for it to be such an issue right out of the box. I've been using my Louis Vuitton Speedy bag for nearly 10 years now and it's been a workhorse for me. Straight from the box, it's always been perfect! No training, no straightening, no wavy zippers, nothing. A brand new bag should never be such a problem. It's just a QVC brand and was probably cheaply made especially because they had to crank out so many being it was a TSV.

Valued Contributor

On 11/5/2014 TrailBlazer05 said:

The bigger question is why is anyone going through this much trouble to just make a handbag work?? A BRAND NEW bag nonetheless. While I do not own any of the GILI bags, I would never keep something for that kind of money for it to be such an issue right out of the box. I've been using my Louis Vuitton Speedy bag for nearly 10 years now and it's been a workhorse for me. Straight from the box, it's always been perfect! No training, no straightening, no wavy zippers, nothing. A brand new bag should never be such a problem. It's just a QVC brand and was probably cheaply made especially because they had to crank out so many being it was a TSV.

Why? Simply because most of us love the look and overall design of these bags! So, it's disappointing the bag has so many issues....but some of us are willing to deal with them....at least for awhile and to some extent....
Super Contributor

On 11/5/2014 TrailBlazer05 said:

Why does it bother you? You're not doing it. It's not that it's a poorly made bag or necessarily bad leather - it's just the type of leather we're not used to here in the States. My DIL bought me a small cross body bag in Florence, Italy last year and now that I look at it, it's probably saffiano leather - raw edges, unlined and very stiff. Now that I know how to "train" a bag, I'm going to work on that and soften it a little after I finish this project.

Honestly, it has become a challenge to me - lol. I love the look of the bag and it's not going to get the best of me. Like TK, at some point I will quit if I don't see the results I want, but for now, it's fun and will be a great story attached to this bag.

Super Contributor

First I want to say how much I love this bag and I am finding it a lot of fun working with the leather. I posted this on more than one of the GILI threads, but it's worth repeating. My zipper was a little difficult at first too and appeared wavy like others have mentioned. What worked well for me was to leave my bag loaded on my kitchen table where I would be reminded to work with the leather every time I walked by. I left the bag zipped closed and 'molded' to the shape that I wanted her to eventually take on her own. Every time I walked by I would gently massage the leather and it has not only softened somewhat but the 'wave' along the zipper area is now completely gone. I maintain that the croco leather is a tougher leather and will take the most time to break in - - but this bag is SO worth a little extra effort in my opinion. She now sits beautifully, much like she appears in the video with Lisa - - I do not expect this bag to puddle like some of the other hobo bags - - and I am very pleased with the overall look of this beautiful bag.
Trusted Contributor

Some people will pay $2000 and up for a bag that is ""perfect."" Some will pay one-tenth or less and spend a few days letting it hang with weight in it so we get a great look and feel.

I'm glad some have and enjoy their LVs. I don't have any bag that costs that much and I doubt I will ever spend that for any bag. But who knows? In the meantime I can enjoy a great bag for a fraction of the cost.

KJPA