Valued Contributor

GILI Croco Zipper - Anyone have any luck?

I was wondering if anyone who had the Croco GILI Milano Hobo with a wavy zipper has had any luck in straightening it out or making it easier to open. I've been working with it, and while the leather has softened a bit and it is now in a hobo shape, the zipper is still really hard to open. I have tried wax paper, lip balm, soap, and nothing has worked. May have to go back because I am finding it annoying when I want to get into this bag. It's a shame because I love it.

Super Contributor

Re: GILI Croco Zipper - Anyone have any luck?

Mine was wavy, but not so extreme as some have reported. I've been working on softening the bag since I got it and I have the top "trained" to fold over to one side. I have spent time scrunching and rolling the top, actually pulling the leather to stretch it and just rubbing the leather just below the zipper. The zipper is working a lot better.

I don't feel any roughness on my zipper, I think the problems have more to do with the stiffness of the leather than any issues with the zipper itself. Being a sewer and having worked on leather before, I understand why the zipper is wavy now - they took into account the fact that the leather is going to soften and stretch. Hopefully, everyone's leather will stretch and soften enough to match the zipper soon.

Respected Contributor

I was going to send mine back, but when I went to pack it up I tried those zippers again and they worked better. So this morning I loaded it up (workout clothes, pair of tennis shoes, two wallets - one light, one heavy, sunglass case, iPod in case, two apples, banana, four-cup container of fish and vegetables, travel manicure case) and carried it to work with me. I put the clothing on the bottom, the tennis shoes standing up, soles outward on either end, and dumped the rest of stuff in the middle. It is sitting beneath my desk right now, minus the food, fully zipped. Mine is getting more of a "stretch" rehabilitation than a "rolling" rehabilitation, I guess.

It seems to be softening up and I am going to give it another three or four days before making a final decision. I love this bag, and really would like to keep this color. It holds almost as much as my Roma 2 and is, in my opinion, a much nicer looking bag. And I have never owned a hobo style before in my life.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Okiebug and Favorite Son! I have tried to use my bag, but the zipper is just too difficult to maneuver right now to use it as my every day bag. I had a 32 oz bottle in there and hung it on my doorknob for 3 days, and that softened the leather a bit, but the zipper is still a bit difficult. I'm not exactly sure how you straighten out a curvy zipper.

Honored Contributor

The functionality of the bag is just so questionable that I'm leaning toward returning the one I still have... It's a very pretty bag, but I'm sorry, if I have to put it and its zipper through grad school before it's easily used then that's a deal breaker for me. Besides, the short strap needed to be just a tad longer, as I'll never use that long strap for a bag this size.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Arianny, you don't straighten out the zipper, you stretch the leather the zipper is sewed to. if you are wanting to try and keep the bag, try really working and stretching the top. I have really wadded, pulled, rolled and beat up on the leather everywhere and it's has taken the beating and still looks like new - no creases or marks. I lay it out on my bed, start at the center seam close to the zipper and apply as much pressure as I can as I rub toward the edge.

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 stevieb said:

The functionality of the bag is just so questionable that I'm leaning toward returning the one I still have... It's a very pretty bag, but I'm sorry, if I have to put it and its zipper through grad school before it's easily used then that's a deal breaker for me. Besides, the short strap needed to be just a tad longer, as I'll never use that long strap for a bag this size.

Well, mine didn't really require any schooling. I think that that loading it up like I am running away from home, and carrying it that way for a couple of days, is going to do the trick. The short handle is just fine for me, even fully loaded and while wearing my winter coat. I agree that the crossbody strap is a bit long right out of the box, but I put mine on the shortest setting possible, and it is perfect there. I don't see myself carrying this crossbody when fully loaded, but it looks just fine that way with a much smaller load.

Valued Contributor

Hi stevieb - which one do you have? Thanks okiebug - I would like to keep the bag. I will try what you suggested. Should I keep it hanging with the 32 oz bottle in it as well? Do you think that will help?

Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 Arianny said:

Hi stevieb - which one do you have? Thanks okiebug - I would like to keep the bag. I will try what you suggested. Should I keep it hanging with the 32 oz bottle in it as well? Do you think that will help?

Hi A... I had both the black (sent back) and the croco. I keep resisting returning the croco because it's just so pretty...

Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 Favorite Son said:
On 11/5/2014 stevieb said:

Well, mine didn't really require any schooling. I think that that loading it up like I am running away from home, and carrying it that way for a couple of days, is going to do the trick. The short handle is just fine for me, even fully loaded and while wearing my winter coat. I agree that the crossbody strap is a bit long right out of the box, but I put mine on the shortest setting possible, and it is perfect there. I don't see myself carrying this crossbody when fully loaded, but it looks just fine that way with a much smaller load.

Glad it looks to be working out for you... As for the handle, comparing it to some of my other hobos, it just seems it might hang better, and using the zipper and getting in and out might be improved had the shorter strap been an inch to inch and a half longer... but hey, it is what it is and so I have to decide whether it's a keeper or not!